Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Attention beeks in the north read this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 29637 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Attention beeks in the north read this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2011, 06:46:15 pm »
 :wierd: but :lau:
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline cmonkey

• New Bee
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2011, 05:54:23 pm »
I don't wrap my hives any more.  Feel it caused to many moisture problems.  I use SBB and top entrances, only one Hive w/ SBB is now wide open.  I do place 2 inch rigid insulation on tops of all my hives.  I've lost two small colonies (caught swarms) so far this winter and take responsibility for failing to dump or combine them.  They were too weak, lesson learned.

I agree with Be a Bee, this hasn't been a very cold winter for us northern beeks "yet."  Our regional weather issues affecting bees began with a very warm November, causing bees to feed on stores they should be eating right now.  I did feed all of my hives dry sugar before closing them up.  Waiting now for a day above freezing to check and feed, it may be awhile I'm afraid.

thomas

I took about a 10-second peek today, and saw the clusters in both my hives in the lower deeps. A few girls hauling the dead out, but not much action other than that. I think I'm feeling postive about them being in the lower deeps. Aren't I? It's my first winter so I really don't know. I hope that they can just make it through Feb, then I can give them some patties, hope they take them, and wait for the willows and dandelions to bloom.

I'm cautiously optimistic today. Who knows how I'll feel tomorrow.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2011, 06:03:12 pm »
Me personally i wouldnt mess with them if they arent at the top of the hive they should be ok this far along but keep an eye on them they soon will be raising brood and using up there stores in the coming months.  Once they start building up just watch out for them to start swarm cells usually after they have raised a considerable amount of drones.

Offline cmonkey

• New Bee
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2011, 06:34:09 pm »

Although I'm not interested in selling bees or queens I would like to get a trade network of Northrn Beeks going in order to trade bees and queens, just a pipe dream I've had for some time now.

I'd be all over that like white on rice. I have one homegrown queen (from accidentally moving my first when I made a split  :roll:), and she seemed to be doing well last fall. We'll see in March/April, I guess. I hope to never have to buy another package, only getting local nucs from now on. I believe in the power of local genetics.

My big dream is to catch a feral swarm and pull a queen from that stock. I worry that they'd be a bit hot, but I'd be willing to take the chance.  :-D I hope there are at least feral drones. I don't know of any other beeks within 10 miles or so, so I think my odds of bringing new genetics in are pretty much down to the wild boys or finding someone local who'd sell me a queen.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »
Id really like to see the northern beeks start up a northern breed program where we all could have a huge picnic up north and have one of our prize hives with our own northern breed queens with us to compete  every year.  At the picnic the bee hives would be inspected for hygenics and gentleness as well as production and a vote on the best queens for the northern area.  The best queens would be used to make queen cells that all the beeks in the group would be able to buy.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2011, 02:26:37 pm »
Thunder Bay would be a nice location for such an event.  I'm all ears.

thomas

Offline Picobrew

• House Bee
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2011, 05:08:03 pm »
Thunder Bay would be a nice location for such an event.  I'm all ears.

thomas

I have zero experience, but would there be border issues moving bees either direction?
I think cayenne, I think cayenne.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2011, 05:19:42 pm »
Hey Picobrew, glad you made it over this way.  I guess I was thinking something centrally located exclusive to northern beeks, sure don't want to have to travel south (that's where the "planners" usually plan events and then I usually don't attend ;).)  We wouldn't have to transfer bees to have some kind of meeting of minds, and I think American beeks can still get queens delivered from Canada, but that may be old data.  NAFTA changed more than we know, and not for the better.

You know, there already is such an organization in place, the Northern Queen Breeders Association (BjornBee is an associate) and there's a breeder in Wisconsin.  May have to make a road trip south though as he's near Madison.  

GO PACK GO, GO PACK GO, HOUR AND 45 TO GO B4 KICK OFF :-D

thomas

Offline punkrockbeekeeper

• Brood
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2011, 03:01:52 pm »
Went in to winter with 4 hives. I fed them outside this hives for about 3 weeks in late August early September. I then split a 50lb block of fondant on them and wrap them with 2 layers of bubble wrap. I got a roll of bubble wrap from staples for a little under $20. I wrap my 4 hives and there was enough left to do about 20 more. I also put 1"x1/2"x1/8" thick spacers on the 4 corners of my telescoping cover which seem to add the perfect amount of air flow through the hive. There was no mold or condensation, I keep the wrap about a 1/2" down from the bottom of the top wo allow air to move through. I also found a 1'4" wide piece of 3" rigid insulation (Blue Board) and Velcro that on top of the hive. Its not as big as the hive so it leaves some of the cover uncovered. I am assuming the cold on the edges help with the air flow because of the thermal imbalance. I check last week when we had the freak 65 degree day and they all seem to be doing great. Oh yeah 2 were started from packages, one Russian the other Italian and 2 from nucs. I am in what would be consider south eastern PA but in the far north west of Philly.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »
Id really like to see the northern beeks start up a northern breed program where we all could have a huge picnic up north and have one of our prize hives with our own northern breed queens with us to compete  every year. 

Not sure about the picnic part, but I thought Bjorn already had something like this in place.

www.nsqba.org

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2011, 07:12:22 pm »
This is true but it would be nice if more of us including i would get more involved :)

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2011, 07:35:34 pm »
If you are worried about moisture due to wrapping your hives, why don't you just wrap the front half, that faces the south? That's what I do, and when I go out on a really cold day, and the sun is shining, it feels warm to the touch. A little warmth will go a long way in allowing the bees to move a little to new stores. I also put a solid wind break around the back and sides. I have two hives sitting out on flat, windswept land like this. They are doing just fine. I put my ear to the top entrances a few days ago, and knocked a couple times. Got a nice loud buzzzz from inside both of them. This has been a pretty cold winter here. It started out really cold for quite a while. The tar paper helps a lot. If half the hive is allowed to perspirate, and the other half to collect heat, wouldn't that be a good balance? It is for me.
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »
And now for something completely different...  Well, not really.  This first year beek wants to know if anyone ever gangs hives for Winter?  Thought of it when I saw a picture in the "Increase Essentials" book of a double nuc beings Wintered on top of an established hive.  If that works, would it be beneficial to put established hives wall to wall so they can share heat on the sides?  Would have to use migratory covers.  Or side to sides and back to backs in blocks?  Just curious....

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2011, 08:15:41 pm »
Well, Now I read the "Overwintering nucs in the North" thread and pretty much just answered my own question. :-D

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2011, 07:30:39 am »
Down to two hives (lost 3).  Hope they survive.

BjornBees association, NORTHERN STATES QUEEN BREEDERS ASSOCIATION is mentioned several times on this thread I think, for those looking :-D.  I'm uncertain of the structure of that Org.  What I'm interested in forming is more like a trade group, I give you my queens, you give me yours kind of thing.  Regional, of course.

thomas
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:52:43 am by T Beek »

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2011, 08:24:55 pm »
I agree Thomas that would be great to mix up the genetics a bit.  Bjorn has it right about the northern breed queens. I feel we are messing with the bees way too much we need to let natural selection take place and stop treating and manipulating. chris

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2011, 07:22:57 am »
My one long survivor colony at five years has made it this far mostly due to luck (for me and my bees).  We're all dumb beeks when starting out and I'm no exception.  I've likely killed alot of bees :'(.  With the knowledge gained (on this forum) this one colony will become 4 or more? this summer.  I've only replaced the queen once in five years, of course that doesn't mean "they" haven't ;) (see what I mean about dumb luck).  So, anyone else interested in forming a Queen Trade Association?  Lets stay w/in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota for now (that's as far as I'm willing to drive).  Might have to create a new thread if there is REALLY an interest.  (we shal see, this isn't the first time I've tried to get some beeks "together" :-\

I can feel it girls and boys; this is the year I graduate and really become a beekeeper.

Beekeeping without a mentor (besides all of you) or a local club is hard, but reading up on Langstroths life and his turmoils (and all of yours) made it less so.  C'mon Spring.

thomas
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:04:27 pm by T Beek »

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2011, 09:22:17 am »
I'm uncertain of the structure of that Org.

If I recall correctly,  you need a minimum of 50 hives to be a member.  Which is not an unreasonable number if you intend to produce queens to contribute.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2011, 10:02:01 am »
You're right Robo, and honestly, I'd be willing to drive far (well, not too far, the queen has to make it back ;))to get some of those (one?) queen(s).  I've referenced it before, but I'm certain there's one of NSQBA members in Wisconsin, so the drive wouldn't be too bad if some are available and I need one.

(thanks for adding the photo tutorial, you're really on the ball ya know, now I gotta find my wife ;)

thomas