Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How 20 Mason Bees turned into 20,000 Honey Bees Practically Overnight!  (Read 3663 times)

Offline Playapixie

• New Bee
  • Caretaker of the Sweet Jaimies and the Shura Bees!
    • Playapixie
Hi!  I'm Dawn, a new virgin beekeeper in Seattle, WA, USA.  So very excited to be here.

It started innocently enough about a month ago with the birds, who I am always feeding and luring into my ultra-urban little back yard on Capitol Hill in Seattle.  I wanted to get more cherries in my apathetic cherry trees (for the birds to eat,) and my local wild bird store was selling Mason Bee kits.  So I got a Mason Bee kit and started researching bees, and found myself enamored with them.

Meanwhile, while happily watching the mason bees do their bee thing, I started to wonder about honey bees, which lead to many hours of reading and watching videos on honey bees.

Last Wednesday I was talking with my sweet friend beekeeper friend Derek over dinner, and he was so animated and excited that I caught the buzz.  Friday I had lunch with another beekeeper friend,  Marguerite, which lead to me coming over to help her check her hives that afternoon. She told me that if I wanted to keep bees this year I had to start immediately, as bees were coming this weekend, and it would be too late if I wasn't up and running with the next couple of weeks.

Saturday morning I went to a funeral for dear friend and coworker, 37 years old, who died in her sleep with no apparent health history, who apparently had an undiagnosed brain tumor.  It's been an intense week of grief.  Right after the funeral I got a message from Derrek, who invited me over to help him split a hive and examine his bees.  Hungry for something life-affirming, I headed right over. 

That afternoon Derek told me he had orered two boxes arriving the next day, but thought he only needed one...so there was one box left that I could buy!  Next thing I know I'm at Ballard Bee Company buying two hive kits from Corky, and then was up until 1am building and painting boxes. 

Sunday morning, I had breakfast with my friend and neighbor Julia, a professional gardener who has always wanted to keep bees, and she excitedly nominated herself as co-beekeeper!  So Julia spent the rest of the morning helping me build frames, then off we went to watch Derek and his boyfriend Abe release a box into Derek's hive to learn how it was done (Julia's first time in the bees, and she was immediately as smitten as I was), and the next stop was Ballard Bees, for our own two boxes!

The thrill of 6 pounds of beez buzzing in the back of my tiny Smart Car was electric!

We got them home and housed in our two newly built hives...and that's how 20 Mason Bees turned into 20,000 honey bees practically overnight!

There has been something incredibly life-affirming and healing about starting bees in the week immediately following an unexpected death.  I am excited about collaborating with my friends, learning lots of new things, and getting to know the Jaimies and the Shuras (the hives are named after my lost friend/co-worker Jaime and my old housemate Shura, who died of breast cancer 4 years ago and who gardened in these bee's yard). 

Julia and I are both avid learners, and are thrilled to be collaborating on this new project.

Derek told me earlier this week that "Every beekeeper you meet is a wonderful person.  They are usually quirky and odd and interesting, and every one has a heart of gold.  You have to be an awesome person to keep bees."  We've already found this to be so true!  Looking forward to learning from all of you.

~Dawn
Seattle, WA

Dawn Bustanoby
Seattle, WA
http://www.playapixie.org
"Let the beauty we love be what we do."  ~Rumi

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
Welcome to the forum.   You're going to have a great time.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Nice introduction, welcome to the forum.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of beekeeping.   :happy:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Having kids seems like a cheap and simple hobby too... until it gets out of hand... and they get older...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Playapixie

• New Bee
    • Playapixie
So far it's neither cheap nor simple, but I've been keeping salt water reef tanks for 5 years, which is in a lot of ways a similar endeavor (except they're less likely to swarm :wink: .)  Excited for the challenge!  I never get tired of learning new things.

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
Welcome to Beemaster!  :grin:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Welcome to Beemaster! 
You are definately hooked,hook, line and sinker.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
> I've been keeping salt water reef tanks for 5 years

Then you will understand why the ecology of the hive is important...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmorethan.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Welcome to Beemaster forum!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Playapixie

• New Bee
    • Playapixie
Re: How 20 Mason Bees turned into 20,000 Honey Bees Practically Overnight!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 03:15:32 pm »
Been all over the Bush Farms site; it's already bookmarked. :-) Definitely planning to go natural. Thanks for the help.

Offline Sumerduck

• New Bee
Re: How 20 Mason Bees turned into 20,000 Honey Bees Practically Overnight!
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 04:50:30 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.

Offline DavidD

• New Bee
Nice introduction, welcome to the forum. I'll +2 That  :smile:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline brumas

• New Bee
MASON bees ???????

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
MASON bees ???????

Google it and read up on them.  Very good fruit tree pollinators.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944