Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you do with the extra queen from a combine?  (Read 6580 times)

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
What do you do with the extra queen from a combine?
« on: October 23, 2013, 02:33:29 pm »
I just combined a late feral swarm with an Italian colony. I tried to get the feral colony ready for winter but they just did not have enough resources. So now I have an extra queen that lays a nice mix of eggs. She apparently had a very good time when she mated. The bees range from nearly black to nice yellow ones and everything in between.
So what do I do with my extra queen? I hate to just kill her off and all.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: What do you do with the extra queen from a combine?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:59 pm »
if it was me i'd put the mutt in the hive and start a nuc with the italian queen.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:58:36 pm »
Feral swarm queens........I squeeze them boath and I put a good queen to the hive.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:56:55 pm »
All bees are mutts unless they are artificially inseminated from known genetic stock. Unless you live in a very remote area where no other races of bees exist a naturally mated queen stands a chance of mating outside of her race. Even with such techniques as drone flooding natural mating is still never guaranteed.
I've heard that old queen breeders used to put out poison syrup after locking up their stock to remove any other lines that could mate with their stock in an attempt to maintain purity.
That being said the only way I know to evaluate a queen is only through observation. Brood pattern, temperament, honey gathering of daughters and other criteria that you desire.
Later,
Ray

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:06:52 pm »
You can see if someone in the vicinity or in your bee club needs an extra queen.

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:45 pm »
I only have the two hives. I am not sure a nuc would have time to build up stores for the winter. I asked around to see if anyone needs a queen. I have her in a cage in the hive now.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:40:48 pm »
give them a frame full of pollen and let them eat syrup.  shut them down to 3 frames.  you'd be surprised what you can get through the winter. i'd want to see what that swarm queen had to offer

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 04:38:55 am »
give them a frame full of pollen and let them eat syrup.  shut them down to 3 frames.  you'd be surprised what you can get through the winter. i'd want to see what that swarm queen had to offer

That is the worst you can do.

Before winter, join hives, do not split.

In spring, join hives, do not split. Big colony build up much more better than 2 weak colonies.

In USA you get all the time new queens if needed. Or you buy a package and the big colony will be  splended.

.When colony is 4 boxes big, then you may make nucs from it.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 04:59:25 am »
I only have the two hives. I am not sure a nuc would have time to build up stores for the winter. I asked around to see if anyone needs a queen. I have her in a cage in the hive now.

I didn't know that they had much of winter near Shreveport. More of a chilly dearth. I'm further north than you and the coldest I can remember was 5 days under 20 degF back in the early 70's. Pipes busted and schools closed. Bad winter!
Later,
Ray

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 06:57:54 am »
All bees are mutts unless they are artificially inseminated from known genetic stock. Unless you live in a very remote area where no other races of bees exist a naturally mated queen stands a chance of mating outside of her race. Even with such techniques as drone flooding natural mating is still never guaranteed.
I've heard that old queen breeders used to put out poison syrup after locking up their stock to remove any other lines that could mate with their stock in an attempt to maintain purity.
That being said the only way I know to evaluate a queen is only through observation. Brood pattern, temperament, honey gathering of daughters and other criteria that you desire.

X:X

Make up a NUC with that extra Queen.  I hate killing queens, even poor performers.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 09:45:40 am »
<Make up a NUC with that extra Queen.  I hate killing queens, even poor performers.>

That's kinda what I was getting at. As long she is is laying a good pattern, her daughters aren't so mean that they're a menace and they don't require constant feeding I would give her a chance.

I agree with 10framer, Nuc the Itallian and give the mutt the main hive. Sounds like she got busy during her mating flight. At least she was a go-getter.
Later,
Ray

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:55:06 am »
If we speak about extra queen, it is extra queen.
During summer I kill hundreds of queens. One hive makes usually 15 queens. What else I can do than flatten  them.

10 hives = 150 flatten queens.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 11:19:57 am »
Strange beekeeping in Finland  :-\  Why not sell or at least share them.  Queens can be quite lucrative .......
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:32:27 am by T Beek »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 02:26:04 pm »
Strange beekeeping in Finland  :-\  Why not sell or at least share them.  Queens can be quite lucrative .......

No one buy swarming cells/queens. Except tontos...

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 02:36:34 pm »
give them a frame full of pollen and let them eat syrup.  shut them down to 3 frames.  you'd be surprised what you can get through the winter. i'd want to see what that swarm queen had to offer

That is the worst you can do.

Before winter, join hives, do not split.

In spring, join hives, do not split. Big colony build up much more better than 2 weak colonies.

In USA you get all the time new queens if needed. Or you buy a package and the big colony will be  splended.

.When colony is 4 boxes big, then you may make nucs from it.

it didn't take long for me to be crowned  the worst beekeeper in the world again. 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 02:57:48 pm »

it didn't take long for me to be crowned  the worst beekeeper in the world again.  

Heh he. There are other merits to achieve in the world
Like good balance in  marriage. The mister does not trust to his wife fully, because he is slanting too to right.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 03:34:32 pm »
There was a case in Finnish beekeeping forum 4 weeks ago.  A beek  got 25 mini mating nucs from professional queen breeder. He asked what to do.  25 cupfulls assistant workers and 25 young mated queens.
He want to put all together and queens will clear out, which is quicker.

Another writer had as much queens. He dropped mating nucs onto excluder and sieved extra queens away.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Re: Re: Re: What do you do with the extra queen from a combine?
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 04:08:04 pm »

it didn't take long for me to be crowned  the worst beekeeper in the world again. 

Rob,
Join the club. Don't take it personal. :D I don't.
Later,
Ray

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 09:56:19 pm »
He's leaning to the right because a front tire is missing from the left side
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 06:06:00 am »
He's leaning to the right because a front tire is missing from the left side

:laugh:  That's the joke of the PIC.  The Fin has been posting IT for years.  :(

HEY!  If I'ever offended ANYONE on this forum I apologize.  With the exception of FINSKI I've never intentionally tried to offend anyone  :-D.  He asks for it and deserves more than he gets.  Why would a Fin who hates American Beekeeping and Keepers  spend so much time on this forum is a good question (One I've asked him several times).

Bees sting and so do their keepers I suppose.  Is it just natural?  :) 

**THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS THERE IS JUST BEES AND THEIR KEEPERS**

anything