Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trying to outlaw beekeeping in BA, OK!!! town meeting! be there!  (Read 3501 times)

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
Broken Arrow, which is a suburb of Tulsa, OK, is trying to make it illegal to keep bees within city limits. They are having a city board meeting this Tues,May 4 at 6:30pm. We could use all the support possible from all people (bring your family and friends) that live close, to help overturn their decision. We will show up at 6pm at 220 S. First St in Broken Arrow. Even if you do not live in BA, your town or city could be next? Help us to civily educate the board of BA about how much we depend on honey bees, and all the things they do for us. You may be able to google for an e-mail address for the city of Broken Arrow, OK? Thank you for any support you may give.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: Trying to outlaw beekeeping in BA, OK!!! town meeting! be there!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »
what is the reasoning behind there wanting to outlaw beekeeping in the city limits
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:30:35 am »
what is the reasoning behind there wanting to outlaw beekeeping in the city limits

Same as it always is: Ignorance
Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:14:51 am »
not nescesarily. Not trying to defend the city and there rediculous laws but ingnorance runs on both sides of the fence there is a lot of beekeeps out that havent done there homework that make it hard on the majority that do.
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 12:13:48 pm »
We had the same thing here last year. Here is the post I started and the results.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,21723.0.html

I did just talk with a council man two weeks ago and he did tell me our city now has an ordinance saying a person can only have 4 hives per property within the city limits.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:15:06 pm »
I wouldn't say that allowing a couple swarms to escape and go feral in the city of broken arrow is a terrific idea, but it seems that fear rules lots of cities lately.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:15:09 pm »
I bet if they really look they will find they alrady have numerous feral hives. I did the same thing and showed the city workers where I found 4 different hives in the down town area.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29:17 pm »
At least here in Georgia, that state has a law that cities and counties can not restrict bee hives.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:31 pm »
The city of BA has just postponed the vote on beekeeping to the May 18th board meeting now. I guess we opened a few ears already. I heard it is the BA Home Owner's Assoc. that is wanting to ban bee keeping within city limits! We have an beekeeping attorney that is a drawing up papers that will be pro beekeeping to submit to the board. We still will need all the bodies that can to show up to peacefully voice their views. Thank everyone for your support.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:41 am »
The most logical argument is that having gentle bees will fill a niche that may otherwise be filled by wild bees and, in OK, there is the fear that those wild bees may be Africanized.  The best way to keep Africanized bees out is to crowd them out with European honey bees...  "Nature abhors a vacuum."--Aristotle

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:17:15 am »
How about an update?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 02:04:52 pm »
The update is the town meeting for beekeepers will be on Tues., May 18 at 6:30pm. We need supporters to show up about 6pm.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 03:52:01 pm »
Thanks. I sent a link to Kim Flottom. You may be getting some help from Bee Culture magazine. We'll see.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:40 am »
Good luck.

anything