Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding a Long Hive  (Read 2146 times)

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
Feeding a Long Hive
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:33:00 pm »
I built a long hive with a top entrance and didn't think about how I could feed the bees. The issue I'm faced with is the three inner covers and single outer cover. I own entrance feeders, which I cannot use because it's a top entrance and I do not have any medium sized frame feeders. The local supplier doesn't carry the medium size, so ordering would mean a several weeks until it arrives.

Pictures of the hive

I'm thinking I could either

1. make another long hive body that would let me put an inverted jar (or two) above the inner covers
2. make a two piece outer cover that would let me put a top feeder over the occupied part of the hive. I'm not sure if this would keep rain/snow out.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Feeding a Long Hive
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:35:04 pm »
Figure a way to put the feeder inside the hive.    Behind the frames.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:08:36 pm »
Agreed.  I also run long hives, 4 feet long.  If the hive is not packed full, set an entrance feeder inside past the frames.  Or set a baggie on the bottom in the same place.

Our hives are also designed so we can use top feeders, and with an adjustment that might work for you if your long is completely full of frames.  If you've got a shallow super or a large shim, put it on top of the hive at one end so it butts right up against the other inner covers, put a syrup baggie inside on top of the frames, then use ply in place of your outer cover to temporarily close off any unwanted extra entrances.  (This is why we use 3 migratory covers, so we can set a super or top feeder on any third of the hive without creating new entrances.)
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I think an entrance feeder until I get a chance to build migratory covers, so I can stack a top feeder.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:27 pm »
Baggies, dry sugar, a regular frame feeder, a regular top feeder... they all work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 06:21:12 pm »

anything