Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A great day in the bee yard!  (Read 1945 times)

Moots

A great day in the bee yard!
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:21:13 pm »
As a greener than green newbie I'm hungry for opportunities to learn.  As you all know, there's plenty of great resources on the internet and no shortage of good books...But at the end of the day, there's no replacement for simple hands on experience, "seat time" if you would. 

My new found friend Bailey was gracious enough to extend me an invite to join him in getting a little work done at one of his bee yards today.  We had a great day and the experience was invaluable.

After Bailey made a few passes on his faithful riding mower to fight back some of the overgrowth and spruce up the yard a bite, we jumped right in. 

We got into two hives, one was four mediums and the other five.  We pulled 2+ boxes of fall honey and made a total of 5 Nucs, replacing the frames we robbed with new frames with starter strips.

I made it about 5 minutes in before taking a sting on my hand and rethinking my "no glove" policy for the day... :-D LOL!

While I was there, I got a little swarm trap advice.  All the swarm trap talk on the forum has my curiosity peaked.  So, I'm planning on putting out the two Nucs that I just emptied yesterday as swarm traps and seeing if I can't get lucky.  As a matter of fact, I just ran to the health food store in town to pick up some Lemon Grass. Hopefully, I'll get them hung in the next couple of days!

Thanks again Bailey...Enjoyed the day!  :)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: A great day in the bee yard!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:15:24 pm »
Sounds like an interesting day for you. Four of those nucs I believe Bailey has me down for so appreciate your help!  :-D
Did three removals in a week around the Reserve area and spent some time today checking on their progress. Does take the time and as my only hobbies are gardening and bee keeping it takes up a good bit. Oh forgot to mention the chickens and the rabbits! Sheesh! That's enough.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 08:24:03 pm »
sounds like a great day Moots... nothing like hands on... i too would like to extend my thanks for the hard work as i have two nucs reserved also.   ;)
Marshall

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:59:37 pm »
Yeap, most any day messing with bees is pretty good, or fishing or hunting.  Nice to have people close by to help or be helped also. 

Joe

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:10:24 am »
Blanc.  Your 4 are coming out of those 5.  :-D
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:31:14 am »
Blanc.  Your 4 are coming out of those 5.  :-D
Bailey

As the youngsters say SWEET!
Thx Mr Bailey
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 09:39:11 am »
Plan b.
your bees are in nucs already.  Just have to grow them a bit.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:17 am »
Cant Wait.... KID IN A CANDY STORE is an understatement ...  :-D 
Marshall