Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help required removing bees from a tree!  (Read 1752 times)

Offline acepestdetective

• New Bee
Help required removing bees from a tree!
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:47:21 pm »
 Hi all.

I have a quick question for you all... (I did try the search facility but without much luck).

A neighbour has a small bee cast in a tree about 3 foot off the ground and wants them removed without damaging the tree as she and her dogs are being stung as they're in the garden. I suggested avoiding the area but the dogs are very inquisitive and won't leave the tree alone.

Is it worth popping a hive next door in the hope that the bees will take up residence ( I only have new frames) or is there an easier and quicker way to get the bees out.

Apologies if this has been answered a hundred times before but I'm only in my second year of keeping and last year was a disaster here in Britain mostly due to the weather so could really do with some help.

Hope you're all doing well,

Rob.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Help required removing bees from a tree!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 07:41:49 pm »
I take it the bees are established and have comb built under what's probably a strong limb. I'd say smoke em, and cut the comb so it can be placed in frames. Brush the bees in the box and you're good. Rubber bands can help hold the comb in place until they establish.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Help required removing bees from a tree!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:08:18 pm »
Its one thing if they're on a limb its a whole different ballgame if they're inside a cavity in the tree, in the second instance it is unlikely you will be able to save this colony, yes you can save bees and add them to another hive through a combine but without the queen or brood for them to make another queen from their genetics are doomed.

You should contact someone that is very experienced with trapping bees out of trees in your area if you can find someone.

Good luck and best wishes.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything