Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees chewing  (Read 6608 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: bees chewing
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 09:38:23 pm »
OK lets just agree to diagree and say,if you believe it or not,if they were to chew though wood,why do you think they would do this?

I think it is in the bee's cleaning of the hives, the wood could have soft, bad spots that they could chew through, I remover a hive last year that was between the 1st and 2nd floor, the bee's had about removed 1/4 of the sheet rock from the 1st floor ceiling, it was a spot about 2' x 4' , if he would have waited about another 3 months the bee's would be looking at him when he was eating dinner, I think its all in the cleaning and just a bad spot in the wood that they work on, now they not carpenter bee's and chewing through wood is rare but it does happen....
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JRS

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 09:58:51 pm »
I don't know TWT,it's weird,the mediums are this years.I'll take pics and we'll see what you think. thanks
The only stupid question is the question unasked,thanx for the help.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 10:24:38 pm »
>OK, I've seen it happen more than once. If you choose to believe that I'm lying about that, well then I suppose there's not much I can do about it, is there?

Personally I'm not saying your lying, nothing you've ever said would lead me to expect anything from you but what you've actually seen, it just seems that if they can't penetrate fruit skin (which seems to be pretty well researched) they would have a lot of trouble with solid wood.

>I have had them chew through several sheets of newspaper. I don't see why they would not be able to chew through a fruit skin or some wood. I don't think they could do it quickly. However I they could probably do it.

But they can use saliva to soften the newspaper some what.  And tearing a little piece at a time of newspaper is much easier than taking a solid piece of wood off.  The wood has already been shredded once to make the newspaper.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JRS

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 10:54:21 pm »
That is true MB but wood is not solid like steel,its little strands one on top of the other.
The only stupid question is the question unasked,thanx for the help.

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 11:40:51 pm »
Here are two photos showing where bees have been gnawing wood at a crack in a bottom board.  While the bottom board wood is certainly not new, it is firm solid wood on each side of the cracked area.  That particular hive was setting on a stand about 3 feet off the ground.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/dronebee/various/100_0646.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/dronebee/various/100_0647.jpg

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 11:58:14 pm »
If you want to see bees gnaw wood try soaking a block of wood in honey or sugar syrup then place it in or near the hive.  I used a paint stir stick to mix the syrup with and then absentmindedly left it out in the apiary-the next day bees were gnawing on it to beat the band.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 05:23:56 pm »
Thats pretty cool about wood chewing bees, even if they did or didnt chew it.
But, I have a goofy story too!
 My friends Paul and his wife heard a racket coming from somewhere in their kitchen. They thought their fridge, freezer or AC was going out. They looked and listened for a long time but couldnt really pin down what the noise was.Well, chech this out!....They finally found the source of the noise....It was a bee inside a beer can out in the garage!!...It was flapping around so loud that the noise was coming through the walls of the house!
Anyways, Paul let the bee out and he came back to my house!(Anytime I see a bee anymore I tell people they're going to my house).Oh....By the way...I think this bee was chewing through the can! (just kidding!)
your friend,
john

anything