Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how to do I help this person?? pictures  (Read 3835 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
how to do I help this person?? pictures
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:40:43 pm »
Bees are by the chimney under the roof about 20ft up, she said they are just on the "outside" because that is where the comb is, but I don't think that is the case I think they are in the soffit maybe and they just built comb on the outside for some reason? She sent me these pictures. Not very good but you can kind of get an idea. She also stated they have been there a couple of years ever since a semi hauling bees on I35 turned over and bees escaped from the semi.

Lori

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: how to do I help this person?? pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:55:46 pm »
Are the bees in Minnesota?   And they have been there for years?   Ya, they are in the soffit.   Open it up and remove them. 

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »
Are the bees in Minnesota?   And they have been there for years?   Ya, they are in the soffit.   Open it up and remove them. 
Yes in MN a couple towns over from me.
Lori

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »
Teach them that bees do NO structural damage, are not aggressive, and will help their flowers and garden grow.
Then tell them it would be wasting $$$ "quote a high price"  to have them taken out. If they still want them out, make yourself a lot of money.

That's how I do about half the calls I get.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:51 pm »
  Hard to see from those pics, but does that house HAVE a boxed soffit? It looks like a flat eave to me with a drip rail.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:09 pm »
 Hard to see from those pics, but does that house HAVE a boxed soffit? It looks like a flat eave to me with a drip rail.
I am going to talk to her tomorrow I will ask. I know it is a log cabin house. Would bees just build comb on the outside of the house like that without being in walls, chimney, attic etc?
Lori

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 01:34:55 am »
Yes they would. At least they would down here.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 10:37:00 am »
Would bees just build comb on the outside of the house like that without being in walls, chimney, attic etc?

Yes they can, but it is not their first choice.   I had one a few years ago that built under the overhang right next to the chimney.  Found out afterward that the homeowner had sprayed insulation the attic the year before, which sealed up any possible entry for the bees.  I'm assuming they got stuck there due to inclement weather and ended up building an open air nest.   It was a huge colony (about 2 feet wide and 3 feet long)  something that would definitely be visible in the photo you provided.   The colony did not survive the winter here in NY,  so I have my doubts an open air colony would survive multiple winter in MN,  especially if it is so small you can't see in in the photos.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »
 :shock: didnt you get stung?!

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 10:27:17 pm »
If memory serves I believe I took a couple to the hand. I regularly do cutouts unsuited, that blue towel is just is my sweat rag. I've since quit wearing black and will often be kilted when doing cutouts.
Move slow and carefully and they don't get as riled as you might think, besides I always check their temperature before I start, if in doubt I suit up.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

anything