Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apistan  (Read 3968 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
Apistan
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:31:50 pm »
How soon after inserting apistan strips would you begin to notice any change in the hive. Have had mine in for almost 2 weeks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Apistan
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:37:04 pm »
>How soon after inserting apistan strips would you begin to notice any change in the hive. Have had mine in for almost 2 weeks.

Last time I used it the only change was the bees all died.  The Varroa around here are totally resistant and it's a waste.

If you put down a sticky board or something to count mites, you should see thousands of dead mites.  If you aren't seen more than a few you probably have Apistan resistant mites.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:39:20 pm »
oops no sticky board.  :roll:

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:41:27 am »
It is better now forget Apistan and learn something else.
Bye a book with Apistan money, how to manage varroa in warm climate. 
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=9047.0

I see that few are interested about book. Jamaica is surely difficult place to handle varroa like in New Zealand or South Africa.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 08:05:38 am »
It is better now forget Apistan and learn something else.
Bye a book with Apistan money, how to manage varroa in warm climate. 
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=9047.0

I see that few are interested about book. Jamaica is surely difficult place to handle varroa like in New Zealand or South Africa.

My hives were inspected and that was the treatment recommended. To the best of my knowledge i think the only other approved treatment here is Apiguard. I have been looking at other methods ( Drone Trapping, Small cell, smoking with grapefruit leaves and fgmo etc.) but i am doing some more research. As for the book, I know its not available here. i have been been searching online but haven't found it as yet 

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:53:02 am »

My hives were inspected and that was the treatment recommended. To the best of my knowledge i think the only other approved treatment here is Apiguard.

"Apiguard® is a natural product ... It is a sophisticated slow release gel matrix, ensuring correct dosage of the active ingredient thymol."

That is better stuff than Apistan.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 03:43:19 pm »
seems like i'll need to get from england then. thanks jerrymac. I had wanted to use apiguard but was advised that there was a posibility of the bees swarming so it should be used by more experienced beekeepers.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 09:30:09 am »
   I had 12 colonies  Last year. I used Check Mite Plus on 7 of my colonies, and those 7 died. The 5 that made it through the winter and are doing fine had no treatment at all.
For what thats worth.

cell phones, what a joke.
doak

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 10:38:50 am »
Check mite plus' affecting stuff is coumaphos. It is in Perizin too. Perizin was widely used before Apistan and is still used.

Coumafophos do not kill hives when used properly. One guy killed last winter all his 12 hives when he understood wrong trickling concentration  and put 10 fold dose oxalic acid.  Most kill hives when they give nothing.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 11:00:03 am »
Oh brother!!!  Killed all hives with wrong dose of trickling.  How about reading the instructions or listening and learning.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service