Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Defining Top Bar Hives  (Read 3528 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Defining Top Bar Hives
« on: September 22, 2009, 08:02:12 am »
So how do we define a top bar hive?

Is it any hive that uses bars across the top of the hive instead of frames or is it more involved than that?

Can a vertical "conventional" hive be a top bar hive if it uses bars with starter strips instead of frames and foundation for example?

Mick

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Defining Top Bar Hives
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:13:19 pm »
I think the most accurate name would be "top bar only" hives.  All hives have top bars...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 04:18:51 am »
You are correct of course, Michael. I suppose I was wondering if TBH's are just generally classified as horizontal hives of if there is consideration of including the vertically stacked hive with top bars (only).

Are there beeks out there who work with vertically stacked hives using top bars only?

Mick

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:55:57 am »
Slick,
Here is an example of what you are asking. The Warre hive is a perfect example. TBH with a stacked configuration.

Below that is a TBH comb from my trench style hive. Although I do super above my trench style hive with standard supers so I can extract them. And of course the standard Kenyan TBH with the sloped comb. Not really what you were asking for, but maybe this helps those who are new on these issues.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 07:11:38 pm »
That's a lovely looking hive.

And the comb is just superb

I imagine you would have to crush and strain as I could not imagine it standing up to extractors

Mick

anything