Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: exotic wood for hive bodies  (Read 2101 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
exotic wood for hive bodies
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:18:49 am »
Has anyone tried any exotic types of wood for hive bodies?  I was thinking that I would like to build a couple or three hive bodies out of something exotic just for grins. I would like to have something that was naturally water resistant that would show its grain and color. Any suggestions?

Offline bull

• House Bee
Re: exotic wood for hive bodies
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:07:43 am »
talked to the lumber yard about Cyprus lumber big enough for hive body's and it 4.99 a foot.
i can order them in for that.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:09:16 am »
I used to be a carpenter and used anything that was scrap... it all works, but hardwood is heavy (although it typically lasts well) and as we always said when building houses, "you're not building a piano..."
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 11:30:07 am »
Some of the more exotic woods are naturally oily to repel water, some of them will cause slight respiratory and skin reactions in humans, not sure how they might affect the bees. They may abscond if the oils were too overpowering for them. You could always try making a veneered hive body.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!