Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dangers of feeding old honey?  (Read 4193 times)

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
Dangers of feeding old honey?
« on: April 22, 2012, 12:52:29 pm »
I heard from someone near me that feeding uncapped honey could cause "diarrhea".  I have a  gallon bucket of honey that I got this honey from a large commercial container that happened to be on a location where I did a cut out.  It was crystallized I brought it home and reheated it added some water and have been feeding it my 2 hives this spring instead of sugar.  What should I look for in ways of dysentary symptoms?  I know what bee droppings look like on my suit....

*fingers crossed* I didnt screw up again.

CV :idunno:
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: Dangers of feeding old honey?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:00:08 pm »
I have fed honey from cutouts back to my bees by leaving the containers of comb out in the yard. I haven't noticed any problems. I would think that if the honey is not "ripe", then they would treat it as they do nectar.

Offline melliferal

• House Bee
  • @Checkmite
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:41 pm »
I was taught never to feed a colony other bees' old honey because of the risk of disease and chemical cross-contamination.  

Either way, it doesn't seem to me that "unripe" honey should be an issue - if they were given honey of too high a moisture content I also imagine the bees would simply pack it into some comb and finish drying it.
Recently moved; re-keeping in 2014.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:01:03 pm »
If it is your honey, then you know what is in it.   No worries there with foulbrood or chems.   If the uncapped honey had too much moisture and sat around for awhile, then it could start to ferment.   Not good.   There would be your problem.   If it was stored in a freezer, then no problem.   I feed back uncapped honey.   I pulled 4 or 5 supers out of the freezer this spring for open feeding.

anything