Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Some body is mad at me  (Read 2030 times)

Offline amandrea

• House Bee
Some body is mad at me
« on: July 27, 2008, 02:08:07 pm »
I've been selling half a pound of comb honey for five dollars. Someone selling comb honey at a flea market for $12 for a 2 inch square almost had a stroke when one of my customers spoke to him. Got on his computer looking for me but my page is down.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Some body is mad at me
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 03:32:21 pm »
Some people can be such jerks.  If he ever contacts you tell him you'll be glad to sell to him wholesale at $4.99 1/2lb.
If he gets obnoxious, just block his IP address and forget about him.
I sell large round bales of hay, about 1500lbs each.  Most of the bales around my area are about 1000lbs each.  Every year someone gets mad with me and tells me how someone else sells them for $15.00 less and hangs up.  Then after they have one delivered and see why they call me back and complain about how they got ripped off.  As if it was my fault.
Jerks are everywhere.  The only way to avoid them is to not do any kind of business.

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 04:04:09 pm »
I think I might know the flee market you're talking about. People tell me about some guy selling 4oz jars of honey for $10. I normally sell a 5lb (16oz ?) upside down jar for $5.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »
HAB, how much do you sell them for?  I am just curious... always see them grown around here, and always wondered how people could make much money from them... I buy the small square bales for about $6 ea. for my chickens.

amandrea, how do you know they got on their computer looking for you?  For that matter, how do you know they were even mad?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 04:41:35 pm »
i had some guy emailing me and lecturing me about swarm catching for free.  at that point, i had not picked up any swarms, just done cutouts.  he thought i was taking business and taking all the easy catches.

we had a pleasant conversation via email and the bee gods blessed me with a good number of easy swarms this year :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 05:56:39 pm »
 I sell my 1 lb bottles for $5..Only because, when asked about if I had honey to sell I said yes, for $5 a bottle...But thats because I was talking about 12 oz bottles. not 16 oz..So, when I collected them to take to work I didnt have any more 12 oz bottles, only 16 oz bottles :(..So I had to take $5 dollars a bottle, to keep my word)
 Of course,...you guessed it...Several people were in my office at that moment the cleaning lady came in for the honey....They all wanted honey, wouldnt you know it?!
 Quart jars around here go for about 13.00.
 I kind of want to undersell Walmart as I do with my fishing lures. I just cant compete with walmart and even pay for my sugar if I did this. As a matter of fact, I couldnt make a living from my fishing lures, even if I doubled the price or cut the price by 75%...People like most of us I think just cant compete with Walmart.
  The way i look at it, with honey,.....get whatever you can, while the getting is good.
Oh yeh,....Whe I sold that mess of honey last friday, debra, a DRMO worker had a bottle coming..Debra is sort of anal when it comes to whats good and whats bad.. She's been around the world, she eaten and drank a lot of stuff...She has a lot of "Culinary Experience".If its not good she'll come right out and say "Thats the lousiest cake I ever ate" sort of thing.  So, about 2 hours later, Debra came out to where i was and said, "Hey, john...I cant believe this really came from your bees...This is the best honey I've ever tasted."
 That made my day! When Debra made that comment, That was better than getting a hundred dollars a bottle :-D...Ok,...maybe not, but it sure made me feel good coming from her!

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 09:34:01 pm »
Much of it is in the marketing of the product.  Though I'm new with bees and still waiting to harvest my first honey, I'm helping a friend who has an organic restaurant and an adjacent metaphysical store.  They are going to buy some honey from me and then retail it with an educational twist as beneficial for those with seasonal pollen allergies.  They get a lot of requests for local honey.  I have found references to honey acting as a homeopathic treatment to build immunity if one consumes honey from bees in their immediate area.  We certainly can't claim organic, but we can say raw, unfiltered, locally created and bottled and MAY be helpful for local allergies.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out and what the price point is and how they sell.

anything