Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: naturally stained hive  (Read 4549 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
naturally stained hive
« on: March 14, 2015, 02:22:00 pm »
For the last 7 years, I have always painted my hives white. I will rotate parts of the hive to clean and repair (not talking about frames) and maintain etc. I need new supers and I'm wondering about staining them with a natural color stain and then polyurethane........seems that maybe I cut down on the amount of painting, having to deal with chips, stains etc. I live in NW NJ and understand that white reflects some of the sun (heat) in the summer. Any comments.........thanks,  Jes

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: naturally stained hive
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 03:16:59 pm »
Yes the light colors will reflect heat and the darker colors absorb heat.Your white boxes will warm up in the morning but not overheat as much as if they were dark (for some reason bees do not like to be cooked). You will see bees fanning themselves on hot summer days. If it gets hot there where your hives are placed, you may have some problems with honey running with a dark stain. Staining the pine/ceder might look nice but I would consider not using stain but put the polyurethane directly on the wood (I like the color of natural wood.)  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:01:40 pm »
High, warm & dry here - I'm using stain on all my new boxes. Minwax & Thompson's last year, Minwax & linseed this year ( & linseed re-seal on last year's). 'Poly hasn't held up well on patio wood for me - maybe 2-3 years, at best.

I use both lower & upper entrances & would rather provide ventilation flow & have the darker solar gain in the winter. My strongest overwintered hive is on the south end - where it gets the most sun. I'm not sure that's the only reason they are doing so well.

I'll be top coating with ironed on beeswax & linseed when I get the time. Beeswax has been the best sealing/preserving  component I've ever used on backyard wood furniture & some hive components. 'Too soon to say what works best, but I'm not overly concerned and have the time to re-seal the few hives I have/plan to have.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:42:26 pm »
Just to be sure, we are talking only about the outside right? The bees will seal the inside of the hives.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 09:40:14 pm »
Yes - definitely the outside only!  As mentioned elsewhere, the bees will take care of the inside.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline JConnolly

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 06:37:05 pm »
Most poly does not hold up well to UV rays.  Only the more expensive spar varnishes will hold up more than a couple of years.   Stain and poly if you like, just be aware that you will have to refinish it to keep it looking nice.

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:41:06 pm »
You may want to look at Penofin (Brazilian Rosewood Oil)

http://www.penofin.com/wood-stains/ultra-premium-red-label-wood-stain

My hives are just going into their second year and still look great. It is cool and wet here and they would have already turned dark/greenish with mildew if I had used anything linseed based, or gray if I did nothing. While it is a bit expensive I think you get what you pay for.

I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:03:26 pm »
a good oil base primer & exterior oil are the most maintenance free & the best protection of your investment. exterior latex over an oil base primer will do as well. as far as color I but whatever they in the mis-tints. I've been buying $40.-$60. per gallon paints for $3.00 per gallon because the colors were wrong.

Offline Packrat3wires

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:52:49 pm »
I have been using the ECO wood treatment that Kelley Bees sell and that you can have them order from Home Depot or Lowes.    I like it because I can mix up a gallon, pour it into a rectangle rubber maid container and dip all of my hive body sections in it.    I then wait several days and assemble my bodies.    I like to use stainless steel screws with T-Heads since I don't have paint  protect the corners of the wood.    I still paint feeders a blue color and my supers either yellow or orange depending on whether they are shallow or deep.    This really helps to identify what I have on my hives in my Apiary at a  quick glance.    Also helps to inventory items so I know what I need to order.   
"evil prevails when good men fail to act"   Edmund Burke

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 08:37:51 pm »
I stain most my hives and nuc with a black stain works great.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

anything