Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I really hate Italian bees  (Read 7803 times)

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
I really hate Italian bees
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:28:31 am »
Ok with that said my question is this: what is the best way to re-queen my 2 hives of Italian with Carniolans so that I have a higher acceptance with the 2 new queens.  I read that with Russian's it takes up too 4 weeks and you need to use a queen excluder with the Italian queen in the bottom and the Russian in the top box.  Do I have to use this method with the Carniolan too.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline givemeone

• New Bee
Re: I really hate Italian bees
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 12:34:55 am »
Wow!  I have no idea.  But as a completely new beekeeper..on day two (ever) with a nuc with an Italian queen, I'm really curious about the "hate..."   and a bit alarmed.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:04:38 am »
ok here is the nut shell you buy a queen it comes in a cage you take a frame out from the side of your hive place the queen in her cage. in the middle of the hive with the candy plug up close up the hive check in 10 days. easy squeezy.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 01:08:27 am »
I love my Italian bees, but perhaps they act differently in California.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 01:24:08 am »
Oh you guy's just don't know how much I hate these bee's.  When I was hiving the package I took 5 hits and now that they have been in their hive for 2 weeks I cannot get within 10 feet of the hives without getting greeted by a couple of guard bees flying in my face.  Then today when I was giving them some syrup I ended up getting stung twice and I use a top hive feeder.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 01:37:37 am »
Oh you guy's just don't know how much I hate these bee's.  When I was hiving the package I took 5 hits and now that they have been in their hive for 2 weeks I cannot get within 10 feet of the hives without getting greeted by a couple of guard bees flying in my face.  Then today when I was giving them some syrup I ended up getting stung twice and I use a top hive feeder.

Where did you get them from.  Maybe you got some hot ones.  Mine are usually very pleasant.  I had a bear tear into some of them and It is the first time I ever got greeted by girls that had my number.  When I put the hives back together I walked fifty yards away, stood there for a minute and they left me be.  I am getting so comfortable with my baby girl, I believe Im going to start working without my jacket in a t-shirt veil and gloves.  I really felt like a sissy when a customer stood next to me in street cloths while I transfered frames of bees into his box, and joked to his suited friend "do you think I should be wearing a suit) when he touched a patch of brood with his finger.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 02:38:33 am »
Vermmy,

What time of day are you checking them and in what kind of weather? Are you wearing veil/gloves? Are you smoking them?
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline wisconsin_cur

• House Bee
    • The Back Porch Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 02:53:41 am »
I would have to say that you hate those bees.  Now don't get me wrong, I prefer carneys and russians to italians but I have had hot bees that were russians and carney as well.  The calmest bees I have look "Italian" but since they came from a swarm I have no idea what or where came from.   

If they were from a package they may not be related to your queen at all.  I would say, as harsh as it sounds, take your lumps cursing someone other than the queen for a couple of months until you get young bees from that queen replacing the bees that came in the package.  Then you can decide whether or not to requeen in the fall. 
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

The Back Porch

Offline dgc1961

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 09:06:21 am »
I have Italian bees and I have been very happy with them.  The only time's that I have been stung is because of a mistake I make.
David C.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 09:11:22 am »
It is a shame that you are not down here, I run a home for unwanted hot tempered bees.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 09:40:42 am »
Just do the normal queen introduction routine.  It would probably be helpful to remove the existing queen a day or three before the new one arrives so they'll realize they are queenless and be desperate to get a new one.  I think the stories about difficulty with Russian introduction are overblown.  I read a SARE report on Warmcolorsapiary.com and they found no difference in success by using extended introduction times.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 10:27:54 am »
The hotness is not the Italian in them. As said above, if it's a new package, give it a few weeks. If not, requeen with Italian and they will be fine. You have an unusual situation that is not caused by the strain of bee you have.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 10:40:17 am »
Thanks Idee, and Wisc. I had planned on doing it later in the summer anyways so I'll just wait and see how the summer goes and hopefully they will calm the "F" down.  As for the time of day and weather it's always between 2 and 3 pm and it has been sunny and calm.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 11:58:39 am »
My Italians are the best, docile bees I have. My Russians & Carnies are the more protective and aggressive bees. If you want docile, I would suggest re-queening with another Italian.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 12:06:53 pm »
It is a shame that you are not down here, I run a home for unwanted hot tempered bees.
:lau:

Same here!

Our bees are mostly feral Italians mixed with who knows what and I just love our bees, most of them that is. Any strain or mix thereof can be hot for a variety of reasons.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Xperiment

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 12:26:56 pm »

We have only tried carniolians and italians and both seem very gentle.    They have to be since the hive is in our smallish back yard and I'm around it a lot for gardening.   I've only got 1 sting I didn't earn.   The carniolans are a little more protective.

xperiment

Offline SamgeeGamwise

• New Bee
    • Organic Honey
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 12:51:17 pm »
Glad to read this strain as I was always under the impression Italians were a calmer breed as well! I have Carnies but was thinking of getting some Italians to compare. 
My Site Buy Honey
Sell Your Honey Free! Sell Honey

If anyone is looking for an online affiliate for their honey please PM me!  I also link to select honey sites so let me know about yours!

Offline SamgeeGamwise

• New Bee
    • Organic Honey
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »

HAHA!  Great whit Allen!
My Site Buy Honey
Sell Your Honey Free! Sell Honey

If anyone is looking for an online affiliate for their honey please PM me!  I also link to select honey sites so let me know about yours!

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 01:16:24 pm »
My Italians are calm as can be and a joy to work (now).  But I had to re-queen a packaged Italian hive the first year because of their extreme aggressiveness.  Once I re-queened they were fine in about 4 weeks.

In my case, it was the queen genetics because they were fine when I hived the package.  As her numbers grew and the package bees died off they became more and more aggressive.

Offline mvanek

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
My Italian bees have been extremely docile and in fact let me sit with 2 feet of their hive and watch their comings and goings.  I'm a new beekeeper and have only introduced the bees to their hive and done 2 inspections, but so far, have not needed gloves or a veil.

Good luck.

anything