Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I really hate Italian bees  (Read 7804 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• House Bee
Re: I really hate Italian bees
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 07:56:27 pm »
That's about what I read and hear. I thought that Italians were generally good, unless they crossed with the grey bees, then watch out.

We have All American Bees (look like dark Italians, Buckfast & Italian basically). Very calm. So far. :)

I've been stung once, and it was my fault. Look before you lift. 

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 08:54:03 pm »
Here in Hawaii we can't buy any bees or used equipment from outside of the state. So I deal with a company called Kona Queen. The queens I have gotten from there are so gentle I can work them without my suit. I did get a swarm of russian bees once. I could get within 20 feet before a hundred bees came at me. I requeened the hive with the italian from Kona queen and never had another problem.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »
i have 4 italian hives that"s very gentle.love to be around them.my russians are a lil protective but not bad.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 12:27:16 am »
I have enjoyed my Italians. The only time they got ugly last year was during queenlessness or robbing.

This year, I have 1 Italian and 1 Carniolan. So far, they are both gentle with me, although the Italian hive is not too fond of my husband (he looks like a bear).
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:44 am »
I too run all italian mutts and am happy with them.  Then again, I had carniolans several times and one of those hives was my calmest hive ever, but then again that isn't much help if they can't make it through the winter.

But if they are uncomfortably aggressive, ie if you can't stand within a few feet during a nice summer day, if they routinely come out looking for you, if you can't calm them down with smoke, you may want to  requeen sooner than later.

And wear your veil/gloves when you work with them even the simple stuff... ;)
Rick

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 06:31:36 pm »
It does sound like you need to requeen, but I agree with the consensus that it's not the Italian that's making them aggressive.  My Italians are very sweet and gentle - I can sit down right next to the hive and watch without so much as a guard bee coming to check on me.  I have done maybe 8 full inspections since I got them, have never worn gloves, and seldom needed a smoker.

The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 09:27:21 pm »
I have 10 Italian hives and one feral hive, and all are docile.  I use a little smoke before going in, and routinely sit within feet of 7 of my hives to relax and watch them coming and going, and they could care less.

Offline meade kampe

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 10:32:28 pm »
Vermmy, Vermmy!  When you come home to Ohio, look me up.  I'll change your mind about Italian bees.  My 6 year old and I sit next to the hive and watch them carry pollen in!  One question, you don't stand in front of their hive when working with them do you?  My husband does that and it interrupts their flight patterns.  He's been stung 3x's, and I keep telling him not to stand there! 

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2010, 12:34:19 am »
Nope I never stand in front of their hive.  These bees are just plain mean I am going to wait and see how they do in the next few weeks and if they don't change I am going to re-queen them with carniolans.  I love carnies, they are great my first hive last year were great and very mild mannered.
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2010, 12:37:35 am »
Nope I never stand in front of their hive.  These bees are just plain mean I am going to wait and see how they do in the next few weeks and if they don't change I am going to re-queen them with carniolans.  I love carnies, they are great my first hive last year were great and very mild mannered.

I don't understand why you are waiting.  No amount of responses here are going to change your mind about Italians now and it is obviously taking the fun out of beekeeping for you.   Order your Carnolian queens!!!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 07:06:28 am »
Vermmy ........
  One question, you don't stand in front of their hive when working with them do you?  

LOL

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 12:42:05 pm »
I don't understand why you are waiting.  No amount of responses here are going to change your mind about Italians now and it is obviously taking the fun out of beekeeping for you.   Order your Carnolian queens!!!

No its really not taking the fun out of it for me.  I am concerned with my neighbors getting stung more than anything, plus if my wife or son were to get stung; she would kill me.  What someone said earlier made a lot of sense to me when they said that it might not be the queen, but the package bees.  I really want to try different types of bees to see which ones I like best, and which ones are best for this area.

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »

No its really not taking the fun out of it for me.  I am concerned with my neighbors getting stung more than anything, plus if my wife or son were to get stung; she would kill me.  What someone said earlier made a lot of sense to me when they said that it might not be the queen, but the package bees.  I really want to try different types of bees to see which ones I like best, and which ones are best for this area.

I see your point.  Who would make a package from mean bees.  A absolute jerk I guess.  I can see an outfit getting rid of mean colonies by shaking them into packages.  Now that would be pathetic but believable.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything