Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: video viewing preferance  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
video viewing preferance
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:30:15 am »
You know how you have to down load different things in order to view/see different things? You got widows media player and quick time and real....something. I had a problem once where quicktime dominated everything. Then I found the place where I could make the viewer of my choosing the default player.

So anyway, yesterday I downloaded something that needed a newer version of Quick time. So I downloaded it. And once again it wants to be the dominant viewer. And I can't find the place to change the default now. Anybody know how it's done? 

I use Mozilla Firefox browser if that info is needed. Thanks
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
Re: video viewing preferance
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 10:27:27 am »
I don't run Windows, but in my Linux system, if you right click the item you want to view, a menu pops up and I select open with other program and a list of programs shows up.
When you select the player that you want to use, Qucktime for instance with a *.mov file, there should be something to select that says "Always use this program to open files of this type.
Do this once for each type of file ( *.mov, *.avi, *.wmv, etc) and you should be all set, UNLESS, when installing a new program, you do not UN-CHECK the box that says make this the default program.
Basically what I'm saying is you do not want a default anything in your system.
You can still use the same program to view all your videos,  provided a codec exists, but select the program once for each type and you should be all set.
Windows software makes assumptions and automatically changes settings in your system which can lead to security risks and confusion.

Hope this helps.
Tai

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 10:33:16 am »
Jerry, I know what you mean.  Anytime now (I use Mozilla too) I want to download a .mov file, media player opens and says it is changing media, it takes about 2 minutes to change the media and then the .mov file plays, it is annoying and it almost makes me not want to open the file.  I am trying to get a better grasp on how the computer stuff works too, so I think that I will do what Tai says and try some stuff out to see if I can get things to work a little faster here.  I'll try that next time I have a movie come in my e-mail program.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 10:49:16 am »
No that doesn't do it. Doesn't have the open with other program option.

And this is windows XP if that helps.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 05:43:56 pm »
It is in MY COMPUTER - then click on TOOLS, then FOLDER OPTIONS, then FILE TYPES. From there, search the file extention and change the player that plays the file - this is modifying the files attribute. Hope that helps :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 08:03:26 pm »
That doesn't look like what I did before but I will play around with it and see what happens.

Thanks

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:45:51 am »
open quicktime. go to edit then preferences. then quicktime preferences. there you can specify what files to open with qt.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 10:16:28 am »
This is what it WAS all about.
Who watches "CSI:NY". They mention this "Second life" thing you can play. So I decided I would try it out. As it turns out I guess my computer is too slow. They got too much junk in the game. It takes too long for me to move around, short attention span I guess. Also there is all this stuff to try to figure out how it all works and what it all means. I think I would have enjoyed it if I had a turbo charged computer, but it just way too slow and frustrating. 

So I just deleted the whole thing and the Quick time too.

Thanks Randy. I think I saw that and as I don't know one file from another I didn't mess with any of it.

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 01:32:51 am »
I'm not sure if anyone needs this anymore, but there is another way to change what kinds of files play by what inside the browser.  If you are in Firefox, then press Tools->Options, then go to the Content Tab, then under the File Types section on the bottom press 'Manage'.  You can then change what opens with what in firefox.
calebgo.com - My website