Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help! Ant nest IN beehive  (Read 1580 times)

Offline peter

• New Bee
Help! Ant nest IN beehive
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:01:31 am »
I had moved my two beehives to a new location on another farm 4 weeks ago.  They had quite a bit of fed sugar and honey in the hive.  Today I checked them and was going to feed them some more.  The stronger hive was fine, but as I opened up the weaker one I found what appeared to be a nest of small black ants around and under the sugar source(a frame feeder). How can I get rid of them? I am worried about the bees as they were already weak and their activity has dropped right off and numbers are decreasing.  HELP!!   :needhelp:

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
Re: Help! Ant nest IN beehive
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:28:41 am »
place the hive on a stand and put each leg in a bowl of water. As far as the ants inside, I would manually clean them out as well as I could and hopefully the bees can take care of the stragglers.
I am having ant issues myself with a weak hive. They can be pretty aggravating. Take care of it quick before the bees all leave.

Offline peter

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:36:40 pm »
Thanks for the reply

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:29:03 pm »
Circle your hive with used coffee grounds. Most ants do not like to cross them.
You can also use cinnamon but you have to replace it every time it rains.
If the hive is weak put them is a smaller area. If you do not have a nuc, reduce the number of drawn frames by replacing some of them with foundation. As they start to build you can give them back.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BobsBeeBarn

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:33:01 pm »
I agree take what measures you can to keep the ants from getting in. Unless your bees are starving I would hold off feeding them for a bit( week or so). I can't remember ever having big ant problems in a hive unless it had feeders on. If it is hard for the ants to get in and no sugar to draw them they should move on to greener pastures.
You don't need a parachute to skydive, You do however need one to skydive more than once.

anything