Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Russian Bees?  (Read 6769 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Russian Bees?
« on: March 21, 2010, 06:50:50 am »
Are there Russian Bees in Australia? I've read some comparisons of the russians with the italians and they have suggested the russians are even quieter than the italians and use less propolis

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Re: Russian Bees?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:07:01 am »
Sorry just caucasian, carnolian and ligurian.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:21:22 am »
Why has nobody brought russians in?

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 11:46:21 pm »
I believe that they would not let anymore species in as they are trying to reduce the risk of competition with the native insects. You would have heard about the state gov heavily reducing the sites for commercial beeks on crown land? Happened a couple on months ago.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »
Ah ok, interesting - i would have thought it would be beneficial to bring some other strains in given that some have demonstrable capacity to resist certain diseases/pests. Would be a useful gene pool to either grow or incorporate within our current strains.

Yeah, i did hear about the reduction of crown land access... doesnt make sense to me personally!

Offline sas_marine@hotmail.com

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »
well thats interesting as i do have russian bees!! i only have one hive, i did have 2 but one died out last season from shb! in exmouth wa, there is a commercial bee keeper who runs 350+ hives all russian! member of my family! ill post photos for you to have a look if you wish, if u want to know what they are like ill explain, they are not friendly regaurdless of how much smoke u use, altho, it varies with the weather, in major brood rearing times they are impossible to work with! and they use propolis like there is not tomorow, i personally have never seen anything like it, when i first got the hive i let them go crazy for 2 months before i even opened the lid, they are very slow at producing wax, and the wax they cover their brood with is almost black as oppsed to brown! after 2 months i couldnt even open the lid with my hive tool! they make a beautiful honey and even now when my italians are slowing down the russians are still producing full boxes of honey! they are not as clean ass italians when it comes to hive maintaince!! but with shb the seem to keep the beetles trapped better then the italians, to give you and idea, i put 4 frames of foundation in a super with 6 of their original frames of honey, i extracted the 6 frames and then let them go, came back a month later, all 6 orig frames where full and capped and they hadnt even looked at the foundation, and this took 4 mnths before they started building wax on the foundation frames!! and even to this day, they are only just starting to use those frames, i just get the idea that these bees dont like change all that much!! but yer, i love the little fellas and they are extremly good at making honey, a nice honey :P

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:55:01 pm »
Thats very interesting. Sounds like with the russians then you need to adjust your hive management routine to suit them more so than the other strains. Please post some pics, I never tire of looking at bee pictures!  8-)

Do you have, or have you had Italians? I have both an Italian hive and a Caucasian hive and I have been told that the Italians are not as good at the house keeping. I can't say that I have noticed a big difference between them.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 09:52:31 pm »
Thanks sas_marine for your input - that's interesting what you mention about the Russians... i too would love to see some pictures. I wonder how a russian X italian or russian X carniolan would go in terms or wax production etc?

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 03:36:17 am »
hi
   i never new we had Russian bees in Aussie,out her we have a few Ferrel hives of the Germain black bee or some people call it the English bee.they are a small black bee very nasty at times.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 06:32:45 am »
well thats interesting as i do have russian bees!! i only have one hive, i did have 2 but one died out last season from shb! in exmouth wa, there is a commercial bee keeper who runs 350+ hives all russian! member of my family! ill post photos for you to have a look if you wish, if u want to know what they are like ill explain, they are not friendly regaurdless of how much smoke u use, altho, it varies with the weather, in major brood rearing times they are impossible to work with! and they use propolis like there is not tomorow, i personally have never seen anything like it, when i first got the hive i let them go crazy for 2 months before i even opened the lid, they are very slow at producing wax, and the wax they cover their brood with is almost black as oppsed to brown! after 2 months i couldnt even open the lid with my hive tool! they make a beautiful honey and even now when my italians are slowing down the russians are still producing full boxes of honey! they are not as clean ass italians when it comes to hive maintaince!! but with shb the seem to keep the beetles trapped better then the italians, to give you and idea, i put 4 frames of foundation in a super with 6 of their original frames of honey, i extracted the 6 frames and then let them go, came back a month later, all 6 orig frames where full and capped and they hadnt even looked at the foundation, and this took 4 mnths before they started building wax on the foundation frames!! and even to this day, they are only just starting to use those frames, i just get the idea that these bees dont like change all that much!! but yer, i love the little fellas and they are extremly good at making honey, a nice honey :P

Would you ever sell queens? or are they really that aggressive that you would steer clear of them?

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:28:54 am »
hi
  are we talking about the Caucasian bee[a.mellifera caucasica] .the Caucasian bee is thought to have been introduced in to Victoria shortly before wold war 2 it originated in the Caucasian region off Russia.yes i do know about this breed.i thought might been talking about different strain. there is a queen breeder in QLD.john covey ph 0427046966 ah 07-55469294 email j-covey@softhome.net.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »
Russian bees have strange habit. One big problem is that they are swarmy.
They are easy to replace queen.

They are not varroa resistant.

In Argentina caucasian bee is popular.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline sas_marine@hotmail.com

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 10:40:41 am »
lol, it has been along time since i have posted last and i never got those phtos up, buy i will be going out to the hive in the next forthinght to harvest so ill get some photos up for you lads to have a look at :P i am aboout to obtain a few more hives through family all russian aswell!! extremely nasty bees, i went out to pick up a swarm of russians and they had only swarmed 2 hours prior and were already trying to kill me through my suit!! where as i picked up 2 italian swarms suitless :P and those swarms had sat alot longer, weird, i dont want to requeen because apart from their nastiness they are really productive and strong :P there is also another guy in glass house moountains qld who breeds russian queens, or so i have heard, ill repost soon :P

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2010, 11:41:48 am »
Can you sell queens in to Victoria from WA?

anything