Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mice/rat poison  (Read 10234 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Mice/rat poison
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:55:54 am »
Would it be a bad idea in your opinion to put a few pieces of rat poison inside of hive entrance it you are worried your entrance may be big enough for mice to get in.  Would bees try to eat it?  Would it contaminate the hive or honey if they did?  Answer is obvious if they ate it but I seen a guy put rat poison on top of inner cover when he wrapped his colonies so im wondering if this is or every was a common practice.  You obviously cant pull a hive apart to see if mice are in it and I dont want them chewing up comb if they got or get in.  I dont want to trap live mice inside if they are in there.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Mice/rat poison
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 09:49:38 am »
No I would not do it.

There are many crazy things beekeepers do. Illegal chemicals, rat poison, etc. But there are also many problems in the bee industry. Some of them go hand in hand.

Invest in some mouse guards. If you have a dead-out, check to see if you have mice before storing the equipment. If the bees are still alive, let them alone. They will repair any damage come spring.

As a side comment not directed at you......I always find these kind of "observations" of other beekeepers humorous. If you even try to mention illegal chemicals or practices such as using rat poison, you are shouted down by commercial guys in particular, who don't want their image tainted or anyone to actually think they may be part of the  problem in the bee industry. I heard one commercial guy actually claim in a state conference that no commercial beekeeper has used coumophos since 2002. What a crock, and what a cover-up going on.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 11:05:49 am »
Ever smell a dead stinking mouse ?

Not saying any thing more !

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:50:17 pm »
Ever smell a dead stinking mouse ?

Not saying any thing more !

Bee-Bop

Just had one awhile ago behind the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I kept wondering why the toothbrushes and other stuff stank so bad. I wish I would of known about the dead mouse sooner, and before I brushed my teeth.  :shock:
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:05:03 pm »
 Rat poison need I say any thing more !!!

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »
There is always the possibility of some of that poison making its way up into the comb, whether by the mice or on the feet of the bees.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:35:05 pm »
Use mouse guards please and don't ever place any rodenticide out in the open. If a child or puppy or some other animal gets a hold of it you won't be able to forgive yourself.

All rodenticides should be placed inside of child/animal proof bait stations.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:22:47 pm »
I'm with JP don't use the poison outside, even if the rats or mice get into it the cat or dog will suffer.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 08:08:47 pm »
Your nose will suffer if they die in the house.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 05:33:39 am »
Next season I will pay the two dollars per hive for a mouse guard.  I told myself I was going to make my own but just was one more of those things I needed a round tuit for.  I guess I could make a mouse trap outs, lol!

How many blame dead outs on mice?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59:17 am »
Next season I will pay the two dollars per hive for a mouse guard.  I told myself I was going to make my own but just was one more of those things I needed a round tuit for.  I guess I could make a mouse trap outs, lol!

Note:  AFB can be carry by mice and rats.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :?
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:28:14 am »
Next season I will pay the two dollars per hive for a mouse guard.  I told myself I was going to make my own but just was one more of those things I needed a round tuit for.  I guess I could make a mouse trap outs, lol!

Note:  AFB can be carry by mice and rats.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :?

Jim,

You got rats in your hives, you got some serious problems.  :-D

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »
I am currently setting a mouse trap up to get one out of a hive - see my post in the general section.  I will post results.  Tip from an exterminator friend - if you have to deal with rats don't use peanut butter on a rat trap - try sardines instead.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:55 am »
I am currently setting a mouse trap up to get one out of a hive - see my post in the general section.  I will post results.  Tip from an exterminator friend - if you have to deal with rats don't use peanut butter on a rat trap - try sardines instead.

JC

The problem with smooth peanut butter is they lick it right off, crunchy is better but snickers bars work great.

One of the most desirable baits for just about any rodent is dates. A concoction with peanut butter and dates is hard to beat.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 01:10:44 am »
Yeah, I've used Snickers Bars a lot for mice, they are nice and sticky and the mice like the peanuts AND the chocolate.  Didn't have a Snickers Bar around today though.  I will have to give the dates a try!  I've got some of those left around from the Christmas baking!

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:26 pm »
Snickers Bar in a mouse trap?  That sounds like sacrilege to me. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:50:35 pm »
I'd be walkin' around "thalkink lik thith"

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 02:21:03 pm »
I'd be walkin' around "thalkink lik thith"

Scott

:lau:
Tho yowr a thucker for the Thnickerth too, huh??
Rick

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 03:06:50 pm »
 :lau: :lau: :lau:

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 07:15:43 am »
After June 1 of this year you will not be able to purchase rodenticides in loose form (blocks, place packs, meal). Federal law will require any rodenticide for consumer use to be sold in child proof tamper resistant containers such as bait stations. Only licensed PCOs will be able to obtain loose form rodenticides and even that will be limited by the industry.
I'm with the others on the mouse guards. I would treat a hive like I would a home seal it up on the exterior to prevent entry by mice. If the habitat holds high mouse numbers then a rodenticide program on the outside of the structure can reduce rodent numbers. Consider bait stations on the perimeter of your bee yard if you have high numbers of mice in the area. I would think though that would rarely be the case and mouse guards should be sufficient.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

anything