Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hives Stolen - reward offered  (Read 8291 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hives Stolen - reward offered
« on: October 26, 2011, 09:45:40 am »
Hello fellow beeks, I'm hoping you can keep your ears to the ground... I had three hives stolen -  each one a triple -  from the evening of 24/10 - the morning of 25/10 from a canola crop in Clarkefield, Victoria. If anybody hears anything please let me know! There are some distinctive details that will identify them as mine - Sadly being new boxes added whilst on the crop they weren't branded yet. I know it's unlikely I will see them again but you never know. A trailer was used in the theft and the idiots left the farmers gate open which could have resulted an a few hundred head of sheep on a major road! Any help appreciated and a reward is offered...

Offline oblib

• House Bee
Re: Hives Stolen - reward offered
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 09:50:58 am »
     Sorry to read about your loss. As I live about as far away from you as it is possible to be I'm pretty sure I will be of little use helping to find your colonies :roll:, but I hope they are found and the culprits dealt with :whip:

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:28:37 am »
scumbags! This stuff makes me mad. I only hope they get caught by the cops, it makes the papers and the story ends with "i had to subdue the bee thieves with my baton".

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:54 pm »
Sorry about your loss! The same thing happens here in the USA. Scumbags is the best way to describe them. Larry

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:23:16 pm »
Let's just hope it's was some hoodlums and not a fellow beek. Sorry to hear about your loss Buzz...

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 05:48:53 pm »
Probably a local Ozbuzz. Someone who knew they were there and not far from home,  but of course your not far from Melbourne suburbs and they could be in any one of thousands of backyards. Obviously somebody who knows bees. If you are desperate for a hive give me a PM here.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 06:04:27 pm »
More condolences from the USA...   man, I hate hearing that but I think we are going to see more of that and I have a better word than scumbags but I don't want to get banned...   hope you find the hives and nail the @^#&^%'s that did it.   Luck mate!!   John

Offline dING

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:45:25 pm »
Some people need hanging up by there unmentionable

And a large pineapple inserted
Getting older dont make ya smarter just more cunning

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 06:20:58 am »
dING, you're not a queenslander are you? They usually advocate the rough end of a pineapple! :shock:

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 06:05:51 pm »
Thats shizen! could they be seen from the road? I worry about bored kids vandalizing my hives and keep them as hidden as possible. Im from the other side but if i hear of anything i will let you know. Ben

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 09:25:47 pm »
Probably a local Ozbuzz. Someone who knew they were there and not far from home,  but of course your not far from Melbourne suburbs and they could be in any one of thousands of backyards. Obviously somebody who knows bees. If you are desperate for a hive give me a PM here.

Hey Geoff,

Yeah, i'm guessing it was a local too! I've contacted all of the schools, pubs, medical centres in the area and reported it to police... hopefully someone hears something... thanks for the offer :) I've got 31 (well less 3) hives at the moment so i've got plenty - it's just annoying with the lost money in the boxes and the honey etc... I'm also going to take a drive around the area and see if i can see them somewhere...

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 09:50:37 pm »
Thats shizen! could they be seen from the road? I worry about bored kids vandalizing my hives and keep them as hidden as possible. Im from the other side but if i hear of anything i will let you know. Ben

Some of them could be seen from the road but you would have to have really looked - they were situated next to a 100kph road so i'm guessing it's someone that travels the road regularly... not happy! i just hope that they slip up somehow and end up getting themselves caught! the police in the area have a real hate of livestock theft and they said if they're caught they're going to have everything thrown at them!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 09:51:11 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies - please, for those that are in the area, keep your ears to the ground - you never know...

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 05:05:37 am »
Geelong Beekeepers Club has sent out an email about it. Were your boxes and frames branded?

These lowlifes are a bit discouraged when this they see branding versus paint.. It takes a bit more work but any thing that stops the lazy scum who want to steal is worth it. We met a couple of ?? blokes who happened to have one of my mates boxes due to the number being branded and painted over a few years ago. They were most apologetic about some sort of mix up and we brought that box back along with a couple of additional supers back to my mate. We made a point of letting these confused blokes we had their rego. number and hoped they did make any more mistakes. A big heavy tipped soldering iron will do the job of branding.

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 05:46:29 am »
G'day Oz,

Sorry about that news.

I'm just a hobbyist & I keep all of my hives @ home. However I stamp my NSW DPI registration on the inside & outside of every side of the super as well as the bottom edges, tops & frame rest.  I also write the rego number on all 4 parts of the frames with texta including the inside & outside surfaces of the end bars- hard to erase when covered in comb.

I don't have a fire brand but I use punch brands. You can get them from hardware stores fairly cheaply.  It's a bit laborious but feasible for a backyarder.

I texta my registration number on the outside of the supers to comply with NSW Regs.

I also paint my hives different colours other than white (Bunnings mistints) although that won't prevent the crooks painting them generic white.

If something is gone it is gone.  If you can identify it you have a chance to get even with the crooks.

I hope the cops can get a result for you.  The rural crime unit in NSW are clued up about bees.  I hope the Vic cops are as well.

All setbacks are temporary!

Yanta

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 02:18:49 am »
I think a fire brand would work wonders on the lowlife better than a baton, whip, or any of the other suggestions.  :evil:

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 09:21:42 am »

any luck finding these guys>>>>?

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 04:31:24 am »
A mate had 150 singles and double stolen out of a closed coup near Bendigo about a week ago. The bastards that did this probably did during the day due to the swarms sitting in nearby trees. They used a truck to cart away the boxes. All boxes were branded and the police have a bit of an idea who the scum are that did it. the problem will be when these scum are taken to court. Recently another lowlife was sentenced to 100 hours of community service because he had a sad upbringing and little opportunity to pay a fine. The sooner there are some real consequences for these buzzards the better.

Offline the-ecohouse.com

• House Bee
    • the-ecohouse.com
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 10:53:16 am »

$^*? thats like 5k plus worth of gear...

a fine?

what is the world coming to?

Offline Country Heart

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »

Sounds like there is a need for some kind of hive tracking device - I'm thinking that that might help put an end to things quickly. 

anything