Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Construction Questions  (Read 3710 times)

Offline willylock

• Brood
Construction Questions
« on: April 04, 2007, 07:27:41 am »
I am a new beekeeper trying to build everything I possible can.  Two thing I need to understand better.
1. Frame design- I am building a langstroth hive and I have not been able to find detailed plans drescribing frame construction. 
2. When placing the frames inside the deep the frames are hung on what? Do I cut out a section at the top off the box hang them on a metal piece?     

Also if someone has a large list of links to plans on the web I would love to see it.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Construction Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:44:54 am »
>1. Frame design- I am building a langstroth hive and I have not been able to find detailed plans drescribing frame construction.

http://www.beesource.com/plans/dadantfr.pdf
But I pay to have someone build them with 1 1/4" end bars, a 15/16" wide top bar, no grooves and a bevel on the top bar.  That's what I'd build.

>2. When placing the frames inside the deep the frames are hung on what?

A 3/8" rabbet.

> Do I cut out a section at the top off the box hang them on a metal piece?     

No.  They rest on a 3/8" wide 5/8" deep rabbet.

http://www.beesource.com/plans/10frlang.pdf

I would buy a real hive with frames for a sample to look at.

>Also if someone has a large list of links to plans on the web I would love to see it.

http://www.beesource.com/plans/index.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:30:59 pm »
I am a new beekeeper trying to build everything I possible can.  Two thing I need to understand better.
1. Frame design- I am building a langstroth hive and I have not been able to find detailed plans drescribing frame construction. 
2. When placing the frames inside the deep the frames are hung on what? Do I cut out a section at the top off the box hang them on a metal piece?     

Also if someone has a large list of links to plans on the web I would love to see it.

I recognize the "need to build" and certainly don't want to discourage you from the fun of building something yourself.  But, if you decide that frame building is too much of a chore, you might want to check with Mann Lake for the frame seconds.  They sell them for 25 cents each.  I bought 100 deeps the last time I was at their warehouse in Woodland, CA.  The defects are usually minor.  I have a scrap rate of less than 10% and it would be less if I were more careful during assembly.

All the best!

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 08:34:48 pm »
I bought equipment that I want to build.  then I have a pattern to go by.  I have found that it is cheaper to buy most of the parts.  If you have free wood and free time you've got it made.  As for me, making the parts (except the frames) is part of the fun of the hobby.

Jim 

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:14:18 am »

If you have a jig for cutting dovetails it is worth the trouble to use it instead of making box joints. Building a couple deep super myself and used a Craftsman Dovetail jig, works just right for deep supers with Half fingers at top and bottom. Stronger than box joints also.

anything