Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Removal from shed at horse stables  (Read 11496 times)

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
Removal from shed at horse stables
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:03 am »
Hi guys,

Been a while since I have been on here but I am still busy learning more and more about bees.

I did a removal last weekend from a local farm where people keep their horses. A few of the horse owners are allergic to bees so the farm owner had to get rid of them (the bees not the horse owners). They were going to poison them but had second thoughts and called me in to remove them.
They were and still are very gentle bees and I am happy to have them in my bee yard.

Here is a short video of the removal. Unfortunately the camera went flat during the removal but you get to see me find the queen :)

Bee colony removal from horse stables

Thank you JP and Schawee for all your instructional videos.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:02:06 am by ShaneJ »
Shane

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Removal from shed at horse stables
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:02:56 pm »
Being the middle of winter, are you going to feed or give back their honey?  Great pics.   

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:07:54 pm »
No I don't think I'll need to feed them. We have enough in bloom here that they should be fine.
I checked on them the first few days mainly checking for SHB and they were drawing comb in all the frames.

Shane
Shane

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:33 pm »
Great job Shane and what a beauty that queen is! I've done a small handful of removals over the years that were in horse stables. Horse stables always seem to have a multiplicity of tiny openings due to the fact that they are usually non-standard construction.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:33 am »
That was a nice removal Shane. Boy that queen was so large.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 01:02:41 am »
Thanks JP,

Yes this was definitely a non-standard construction!  The building was clearly quite old and the walls were all asbestos so it was interesting.  Lots of cobwebs and spiders every where you turned.  I did really enjoy the job though, as the scenery was impressive and our background music was birdsong and horses neighing.

Great job Shane and what a beauty that queen is! I've done a small handful of removals over the years that were in horse stables. Horse stables always seem to have a multiplicity of tiny openings due to the fact that they are usually non-standard construction.

...JP
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 04:18:56 am »
Thanks Annette. Yes she was a big girl. Hopefully shes able to produce plenty of bees to keep the hive strong.

That was a nice removal Shane. Boy that queen was so large.

Shane

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:49:23 am »
Nice video, will be looking for more from you guys.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:10:09 am »
Once the weather warms up I believe I'll be approached to do a lot more removals around my local area. So if time permits I'll hopefully have some more videos.
Shane

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 07:51:14 pm »
Great job, two thumbs up! Don't you just love it when you catch the queen in the beginning!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 08:39:00 am »
It was a great feeling when I found the queen so quick. I did start think she wasn't the only one though, but I didn't find anymore.
Shane

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:43 pm »
I thought I would post a few quick pics of the hive now its in the new location. These pictures were taken 10 days after the removal.

The bees have done a good job removing most of the rubber bands:

Plenty of bees doing their thing:

With all these bees I could almost add a second box but I dont think the beetles would let me get away with it:

Shane

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:31 pm »
Good work Shane. I find it fascinating how they haul out all the rubbish, I'll have to sit and watch one day, I'd love to catch them in the act. I did a paper combine of two splits last year and after a few days there was a nice little pile of chewed newspaper off the front of the board.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:14:16 pm »
Its definitely entertaining watching them try to remove the rubber bands. Sometimes you see 10 or more bees trying to pull the band out on the landing board but the other end is still attached. Tug o war for bees :)
Shane

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:14 am »
Good removal and video Shane. 

Joe

Offline Lazy W

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 11:48:25 am »
Great Video and a very nice Queen. Thanks for Sharing.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 12:44:15 pm »
Great job.

I sometimes have to give them a hand removing the rubber bands. They never quit trying to get them out of the hive. I have had 1 bee flying, carring half the weight of a rubberband while I pulled it out of the box. What really suprises me i that they can chew a rubberband into pieces but they cannot cut up SHB. I do think they are learning how to do it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline yelnifok

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 02:28:57 am »
Great video and cutout Shane. 1? what is the last picture showing us? some kind of entrance- 2 holes- ?inner cover? what is the pink/mauve color? thanks again for the video.
   lee...

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2012, 02:33:14 am »
You mean this picture?

Thats the top cover.
Shane