Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee suits  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
Bee suits
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:04:59 pm »
I know you can spend several hundred dollars on a bee suit. I wish I could. But can't at this time. With that being said, who makes the best suit for around a hundred bucks or so, and what would I bee looking for in the workmanship area. Would you get one with an attached veil?  Looking for all inputs. Thanks

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Bee suits
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 08:12:15 pm »
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:24:28 pm »
This is what I wear 99% of the time https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=723

You can probably get by with just a veil with hat. If you get into removing them then the jacket and veil combo is what I use.

The Dadant one has pockets and elastic at the wrists. These are hard to beat for the price.

I rarely need to use a full suit.

I will be purchasing an ultra breeze jacket and veil soon however as it offers ventilation and durability, much more expensive, but really well made.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:31:02 pm »
http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=400&idCategory=

same, only i use just this jacket. visibility is good. it has pockets.  not to hot.  holds up to washing.  good elastic so that when you are working above your head doing cutouts or swarms, you don't get bees up your shirt or down your sleeves :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:15 pm »
I need a full suite because I rarely wear long pants from late spring to early fall.  I can't have them girls flying up them short pants legs! If not for that, I would use the jacket/veil combo.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:33:03 pm »
Beaver, whenever I buy bee clothes I always buy 2 sizes bigger if possible. You don't want your outfit too tight, bigger is better.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:20:18 am »
I went to the resale store, bought several white shirts for 50-cents each. A veil, shirt & jeans is my usual beekeeping attire. I have a couple of those cheap, tyvek painter overalls that I use if the girls are particularly testy and I have to get in the hive for some reason (but they are HOT to wear!).

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:43:48 am »
I'm with JP. For the money, the jacket type from Dadant can not be beat. I buy a couple each year.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 09:21:46 am »
I also have the dadant jacket. It's always right by my side when I'm working the bees. Either in my truck or laying on a nearby hive. It's a nice piece of equip.

The bees have even asked me to put it on a time or two.  :shock:

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline magnet-man

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • New Bee
    • Honeymoon Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:05:22 am »
The economy Mann-Lake suits are a really good value. Since they are made in India they are inexpensive but well made with double fabric in the hood. I don't see a need to purchase a more expensive suit unless you are purchasing an Ultra-Breeze or a Golden Bee Product suit. For full disclosure, I am associated with Golden Breeze the maker of the Ultra-Breeze.

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »
Beaver, whenever I buy bee clothes I always buy 2 sizes bigger if possible. You don't want your outfit too tight, bigger is better.

...JP

Can I jump in and ask you guys to elaborate about the sizing?  I am just about to order a beesuit and some jackets.  Do I need to order the next size up or more from what the measurements say we would wear so they won't be too snug?

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDetail.asp?idproduct=400&idCategory=

same, only i use just this jacket. visibility is good. it has pockets.  not to hot.  holds up to washing.  good elastic so that when you are working above your head doing cutouts or swarms, you don't get bees up your shirt or down your sleeves :-)

Do you know what the Mann Lake jacket is made from?  Cotton, polyester, or both?  It doesn't say on the link page.

Jane
Those who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 03:30:24 pm »
I own the Pollinator from Mann Lake and I am a pretty big guy. Its the 2XL one. No complaints other than I wish it were cooler when doing cutouts. Might try one of those ultrabreeze as a full suit is not needed for me.
One thing I can say for sure, dont waste your money on a veil, just buy a less expensive coat as the veils just are a waste of time and money. The only good thing w./them, is I now have a veil for house guests who get adventurous.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 03:34:11 pm »
All I can tell you is that I buy 2 sizes larger so I have more room when bending over, etc... If its really hot and you're sweating and dealing with arnery bees you don't want the fabric sticking to your skin, this is where you will get stung. You may be able to get by getting one size larger but talk to the manufacturer and they can guide you better.

...JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »
Seth, it is not a bad idea to carry a hat and veil for swarms.

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »
65 poly 35 cotton.  i agree, you might want to order the next size up.  i found the size on the mann lake jacket to be true, but a little more room makes it cooler in summer and lets you wear more in winter if you need to take a peak.

i don't know if KONASDAD is recommending no face protection?  i would say that a veil is something you should own if you don't have a combo outfit.  stings to the eyes, nose, etc. can be very dangerous.  eye stings require immediate medical attention, and airway stings can cause you to swell and not be able to breath.

i swell like crazy, so i always cover up.  some choose not to, and thats ok.  you should probably know how you react before you make that call.

PS....JP didn't mention that thing about close fitting clothes until after i had done a cutout in tight jeans!  you will get stung through the clothes if they are a tight fit and your bees get aggravated enough!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline edenviewgarden

• House Bee
  • Jane
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 04:08:57 pm »
Thanks for the tips, you guys.  I was going to order from Dadant (unless Mann Lake's jacket was all cotton) as they are closer and shipping might be cheaper for the nuc and swarm traps I am also ordering.  I am definitely getting the jackets/suit with the hoods for face protection.  I have no idea yet how I react to bee stings so we will play it safe until we find out.

Jane
Those who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 04:22:53 pm »
No, I am not suggesting going w/o face gear. Just a pollinator coat is best. The veil become so loose, it is a hassle. I now put on coat, leave hood down and flip up if needed. The veil was about $20. Cheap coat is about $50 - $75. IMO,  if i did it all ovcer again, would just buy an inexpensive pollinator coat to start with is all.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 04:26:21 pm »
The veil become so loose, it is a hassle

yup.  i got more stings from bees going up the thing than if i'd just left it off!  :-)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:17 pm »
To put it another way, if you buy a veil only, some day you will buy a coat for those aggressive days. If you buy a coat, you will not need to buy the veil for easy days, as nothing will be needed..

anything