Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: DWV  (Read 1350 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
DWV
« on: January 02, 2014, 06:33:10 am »
I noticed yesterday that the hive was doing house cleaning. Probably 15 or so pupae on the ground at different stages of development. I also notice maybe 5 or 6 emerged bees with deformed wing virus. I have two 8 frame deeps and a parcel 8 frame medium (medium: some frames filled, some not, foundation)

I treated with a OA vaporizer a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure that I did it properly. The first treatment when I pulled the vaporizer out had a bee in the pan. The second treatment I stuck in from the backside where the oil pan slides in at, however it tilted and I'm not sure of the dose because of that. The third treatment was done correctly.

This is my first winter with bees so I don't know if I should expect to see this or not. I was concerned about applying the OA again because I didn't want to kill the bees. Any thoughts?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: DWV
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:49:20 am »
I forgot to mention that the mite drop after treatment was around 150 to 200.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Old Blue

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 11:48:32 pm »
I lost my first hive to DWV.  I'm not sure but I don't think the OA will do anything for it.  I think it gets a foothold when the colony has been weakened by the mites.  Maybe someone else can say whether it's treatable.  I have occasionally seen a bee here and there with deformed wings but not more than that with my current colonies, so maybe it depends on if the infection is at a low level.

Sorry to hear about it and I hope you can correct it.
Old Blue

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 07:23:25 am »
Hopefully it isn't a big thing, being a newbie I don't really know. Everything I've noticed points to a strong hive. I was concerned about the mites so I did the OA vaporizer. I didn't mention or didn't make clear, that they had thrown out some pupae with dwv as well.  I'm "hoping" it's isolated and this was their attempt at getting rid of the problem.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:45:42 am by GSF »

anything