Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gold Prospecting?  (Read 67639 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Gold Prospecting?
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2008, 04:56:09 pm »
That would be great Sean.
I looked on ebay. May get a pan to play around with. And I guess a book will set me in the right direction.

Is there a type soil that I should look for? I live in a red clay area, and the local high school is called "Redland". I'm guessing that clay area soils are not good? I have a stream running through my property, but wanted know if it even has a chance. 

And if all fails, the pan will make a good conversation item on the shelf. I can hear the stories now.... :shock:

Thank you
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2008, 05:40:31 pm »
Clay is really dense and your gold will sometimes sit on top.  So get the dirt that sits on top of the clay.  Gold will also get suspended in the clay so get the clay really wet and break it up.  Any clay chunks in your pan will "snowball" over the gold in your pan and carry it off.  Look for gravel beds in streams or rivers.  Anyplace you find exposed bedrock, granite, or quartz, you will find gold.
And I'm not trying to advertise for the GPAA or anything, but when I signed up for membership I got a gold pan, a how to DVD, the claims guide (it's the size of a phone book!), and a whole bunch of other stuff that will get you started.  Plus it helps support amateur prospecting.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 09:28:35 pm »
here is no gold in arkansas.But is still have a gold pan at the house hoping one day I can go panning

Johnny

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 11:04:54 pm »
here is no gold in arkansas.But is still have a gold pan at the house hoping one day I can go panning

Johnny

Buy one of those "Gold Bags" from the GPAA!!!  They're kinda fun and always have a little gold in them.  Plus it's good practice!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2008, 05:54:59 am »
1reb gold has been found in all 50 states, there may not be a lot of gold and it may be hard to recover but there is some,  have fun man
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 01:19:04 pm »
Panning is allowed on U.S. Forest Service land In the State of Georgia.
Go to your local U.S. Forest Service Office and get the Info.

If You can find the book, There was one printed around 1900 that gives all the Gold "belts" in the state of Georgia. It also has a number of mines that was in operation at that time.
A lot of Copper was taken from the mine/s in Lincoln County Ga. (TWT'S) area.

Gold Is not the only thing you should be looking for. Lots of Minerals and gem stones out there.
The Gold on the Ga. State Capitol dome in Atlanta came from Dalonaga. If my memory does me justice, in 1954. Some one can correct me if I am wrong.
Just trying to help.
doak :)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 01:20:20 pm »
Almost forgot, need to check my green rock. :roll: :) ;)
doak

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:05 am »
here's the big attraction in Lincoln county ga  HERE its a Rock-Hounds dream, GOLD attraction is across the river in McCormick SC.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 12:09:57 pm »

California Gold Facts:

"DOGTOWN NUGGET DISCOVERY SITE, NO. 771" Waymark

This marker symbolizes the discovery of the first large gold nugget in California. It was found across this canyon in Willard Gulch, April 12, 1859. Weight 54 pounds.

http://www.experiencebuttecounty.com/show_attractions_place.asp?pid=626

Have fun gold seekers!
Ernie
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 06:44:15 pm »
Man what I could do with a 54 pound gold nugget! Probably the size of a football?

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 03:33:29 pm »
ok i havent checked up on this thread in a while.  mike and i found about $10 worth last summer but an old friend showed me an abandoned claim he had years ago on the maps so i might do a little better this summer. 
bjorn  look for places in your stream where gravel builds up,  you want to dig towards bedrock on the downstream end and see if any has acumulated there
like gene told me about the claim i'm looking for this spring his partners were all eccited about the gold till they found out how much work the mining is

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 08:42:25 pm »
That would be great Sean.
I looked on ebay. May get a pan to play around with. And I guess a book will set me in the right direction.

Is there a type soil that I should look for? I live in a red clay area, and the local high school is called "Redland". I'm guessing that clay area soils are not good? I have a stream running through my property, but wanted know if it even has a chance. 

And if all fails, the pan will make a good conversation item on the shelf. I can hear the stories now.... :shock:

Thank you

look at this site and it will be posted "READING RIVERS AND STREAMS" ON THE RIGHT SIDE, maybe this will help you some.

http://www.georgia-gold.org/

I will add a few more sites with video's and other info for you to read if interested, look below!!!
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/mrds/find-mrds.php
http://www.bc-alter.net/dfriesen/mineintro.html
http://www.goldminingclaims.net/goldminingclaimssitemap.html
http://marciesalaskaweb.com/  (go to the bottom of the page for gold info thy did)
http://bb.bbboy.net/alaskagoldforum

this was a few pages I collected over the few years I prospected, I am more into Metal detecting now!!

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 10:31:06 pm »
glad you posted those twt  i have been looking for a site that had some of that info.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »
Great finds TWT. Thanks. Our new commander is into metal detecting so I think Ill hook up with him and head to the mountains for a day this summer and see what we can find. I think he wants to hit all the old home steads here in the plains, the Old Santa Fe Trail. The trail runs right through the outside of our town and there are numerous home steads, dug outs, and Forts we can go around.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2009, 07:25:30 am »
if anyone is into metal detecting, these sites below are the best
http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/index.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2009, 02:17:41 pm »
Great sites. Really like the treasurenet.com one. Thanks

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2009, 10:20:03 am »
My uncle has a farm in Dahlonega GA.
My brother and I will go pan for gold in a stream that crosses it.
We find a few vials each visit.

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2009, 08:55:36 am »
We actually have a gold mine on our property which has not been worked since the thirties as I understand it.  My bee yard is just down the mountain from it.

With the price of gold going so high I thought about having some of the quartz looked at for gold content.  I would be afraid to go into the mine though as it is not safe and has alot of water in it.  We had joked about making it into a wine cellar since a lot of really good wine is grown and produced nearby.

The mine is also protected by a branch of poison oak as big around as my arm.  I may look at the quartz rock on other parts of the protery more though. I would not want to mess up the property by mining.

We have done gold panning with the kids in the local river.  It is very fun and it does not produce much gold even though it is a gold rich area California foothills.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2009, 10:56:11 am »
with the price the way it is, you'd only have to find a couple of good chunks and you'd be set!  might be worth wandering around with a pickax a bit.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cockatoo

• House Bee
  • Sailing on silver wings
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2009, 11:57:10 am »
We're gonna dredge my uncle's stream this year!
There was a grist mill there at one times and the stones are still there in the water.
Hopefully, gold has settled around them.