Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extracted honey today!! Yum Yum  (Read 2209 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Extracted honey today!! Yum Yum
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:12:10 am »
My hive that died recently left me with 10 frames of honey. So I froze the frames and today decided to extract 2 frames. I did the crush and strain method and ended up with 5-1/2 lbs of delicious honey. It was so great to have this honey as I never had a drop of honey last year.  I gave 2 frames to my other beehive, (just to top them off as they are strong and eating lots). That leaves me with 6 more frames to extract. I will wait until next month just to make sure the other hive will not need any of it.

Reminded me why I got into the bees in the first place.

Annette
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:56:12 pm by annette »

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Extracted honey today!! Yum Yum
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:44:36 am »
Extracting honey in January. You sure know how to torture people.... :buttkick:

I actually thought you were taking off honey already before I read the whole post.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:43:32 pm »
It is little consolation since the hive died but it sure does help to lick your fingers while extracting what is left! Sorry to hear of the loss.

Dennis

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:28 pm »
It is little consolation since the hive died but it sure does help to lick your fingers while extracting what is left! Sorry to hear of the loss.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. This is the problem with having so few hives. When you lose one, it is almost all you have. I hope to have more this year if I can manage it.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:51 am »
Extracting honey in January. You sure know how to torture people.... :buttkick:

I actually thought you were taking off honey already before I read the whole post.  :-D

I was wondering if it was unusual to extract this time of year. Does anyone else ever extract in January???? It would be hard if you used an extractor, but with crush and strain and only 2 frames at a time, I can place the frames into the oven on very low until they are warm enough to crush. Then I strain it back in the oven. Very easy to do.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:10:49 am »
Yo,

I have 3 frames sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting to be crushed & strained...these are the frames I removed to give space for brood...can't wait tee hee

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:44:43 am »

Thanks Dennis. This is the problem with having so few hives. When you lose one, it is almost all you have. I hope to have more this year if I can manage it.

Annette
[/quote]

Tru nuff Annette...with 2 hives and one failing in December I have spent nearly the cost of a new hive to keep it going...AND it's getting better!

Sounds like nice honey...

Tracy