Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Put in foundation now  (Read 2721 times)

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
Put in foundation now
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:40 pm »
I just got my hives in and am assembling them. My question is is it ok to assemble my frames and go ahead and put the was foundation in?? I thought id put it together completely and just leave is in my shop until my bees arrive.

Or should I just assemble them minus the foundation. I don't know if it matters but im using wedged top frames..

Would  wax moths be an issue?

Keep in mind these are brand new unused foundations. A bee has not touched them yet.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Put in foundation now
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:56:11 pm »
Critters are not attracted much to new foundation.  I doubt it is cold enough that it would get all broken up if you tipped over the stack of equipment.  But, the fresher smelling foundation is, the better the bees will like it.  That is why I would wait, unless you won't have the time later.  Go ahead and put a couple frames together to scratch the itch.

Offline ugcheleuce

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 04:31:46 am »
My question is is it ok to assemble my frames and go ahead and put the was foundation in?

Well, here's an idea: assemble the frames now, but wait until a week or two before you actually put out the hive, then ask a neighbour or a friend to come help you with the foundation.  You'll get one more person involved in beekeeping, and, if you melt your wax in, doing the wax with a friend is easier.
--
Samuel Murray, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
3 hives in desperate need of requeening :-)

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:05:27 am »
Don't forget mice, don't know about foundation but they love chewin up comb, the little beggars ruined a whole medium that I had sitting in the back room once. Me & the cats had a little conversation about that, mostly one sided tho :-D
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:09:15 pm »
don't know that it matter much if the boxes will be in a place where they won't be tossed around.  cold wax is very brittle.  hot wax with no bees on it, sags.  i wouldn't do more than you know you can use before the weather is hot.

with the wedge tops, i like to glue them in with a bead of wax.  there are devices made for doing this, but i got an old glass syringe off ebay that does the trick.  it seems fussy, but it doesn't take long with a little practice.  i melt the bees wax in a soup can in a pan of water.  it doesn't take much.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:21:38 pm »
is your foundation wax or plastic?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:44:40 pm »
If you are cross wiring and embedding the wax, and storing it between 40 and 90 Fahrenheit, you can do it now. Keep it closed so no mice can get in. If you aren't cross wiring, or it will freeze or be setting in very hot area, then wait.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*