Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: just got some new PC security  (Read 7464 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
just got some new PC security
« on: April 17, 2007, 01:50:27 am »
I have never liked Nortons so when my contract run out I just used Avast (it was free), but after loading most of my business info for tax reasons I wanted firewalls, virus , spam ect.... so I went out and bought me some good protection (from what I hear) I got Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 . it has everything for PC protection from what I see.... any reviews on this product??

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products/internet-security.php?aw=kaspersky-internet-security&CMP=KNC-DJ2899729106&HBX_PK=kaspersky+internet+security&HBX_OU=51
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
Re: just got some new PC security
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:18:27 am »
When my company started up last year, we had only a few employees, and no IT group.  So I ended up doing the IT work.

Now I really hate Windoze, I find it barely useable, and completely unstable.  Unfortunately the others in my company were much more comfortable with Windoze, so their machines have XP installed.

Given that I was now going to have to Admin XP machines, I had a big concern over viruses/firewalls/etc.  My biggest complaint against Windoze based virus software is how intrusive it is to the machine and the user.  Also its difficult to administer most packages, and updating is a disaster on multiple machines.

So I called McAfee, and started complaining.  I wrote a page of how lousy their software was, and everything that was bad with it.  Guess what?  All those popups, and constant interruptions are actually designed into the product to remind you that the product is there and working.  They pointed out a different product line that they have, that doesn't have all of that crap.  Well I gave it a try, fits like a dream.

The software auto updates (no user intervention), no popups, no constant reminders about what its doing, nothing.  Just quiet protection.  My users do nothing, everything is automatic, and I've never seen a popup.

The software is called "Mcafee Total Protection, for small business".  I don't know if they will sell it to a normal user, but it is definitely what you want.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:01:02 pm »
When I did some research before,  I remember it was highly ranked, but don't remember why I dropped it from my list (maybe resource usage :?) 

I ended up going with NOD32 and am very happy with it.  Don't even now it's there.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:44:40 pm »
What is this anti virus software you speak of? ;)
It would appear that my FreeBSD operating system doesn't need anti virus software.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:07:10 pm »
It would appear that my FreeBSD operating system doesn't need anti virus software.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Although I agree that the *nixes don't have much a threat now,  don't be too naive to think they are immune.   It will just be a matter of time, as more and more people move to them until the hackers do too.   There are antiviruses out there for *nix  and I know at work, we are trying to preparing for when the time comes.   Unfortunately,  there are a lot of people that have developed bad security habits because there are no threats at the present time and they have gotten away with it.   When the threats do arrive, there will be many that get burnt in the beginning.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 12:16:26 am »
I bought Norton but it is so resource intensive I had to look for something better. I found it with AVG. I use the purchased edition on one PC and all others I use the free edition. The free edition is so good I never bought the purchased for my other pc's.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 12:58:31 am »

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Although I agree that the *nixes don't have much a threat now,  don't be too naive to think they are immune.   It will just be a matter of time, as more and more people move to them until the hackers do too.   There are antiviruses out there for *nix  and I know at work, we are trying to preparing for when the time comes.   Unfortunately,  there are a lot of people that have developed bad security habits because there are no threats at the present time and they have gotten away with it.   When the threats do arrive, there will be many that get burnt in the beginning.

I wouldn't say they are immune, not that naive. However as you said good security habits are very important. Setting up correct read / write permissions is critical.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 06:50:17 pm »
I like Grisoft's AVG. Not a resource hog, and timely updates. I've never had a virus or something that it hasn't been able to catch.

grisoft.com (home page)
free.grisoft.com (free version)

Regards -

UtahBees

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 03:43:52 pm »

Sincerely,
Brendhan

:fishhit:

Offline Bizzybee

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 01:29:22 pm »
Don't rule out Avast antivirus. I was an AVG user as well. No complaints here. Avast offers some support even on the free version, where AVG has none. I even sent a bug report to them once on their free version and they promptly reminded me that it had no support. No DUH!!

Linux and virus'. Yes it's true there aren't many out there, but they exist and as mentioned further up, it's just a matter of time as the system becomes more main stream. Another thing to consider, please think of someone other than you own system. Windows viruses reside quite happily on your Linux box ready for distribution to the Windows world. Avast and AVG make AV programs that run nicely on Linux. Not to mention Clam and the other native apps. They all clean Windows virus'.

Use AVG or Avast or any other good AV software. Load yourself a free copy of Microsoft Windows Defender. Turn ON the Windows Firewall and get yourself a decent router for your dsl or cable that includes NAT addressing. I doubt you can buy one now that doesn't translate addressing. If you don't need a network in your home, then don't turn on file and printer sharing. Try Firefox instead of Internet Explorer. There are loads of addons for Firefox to make it a 1000 times safer and friendlier than IE. Say NO NO NO to all the garbage every web site asks you to load! Block all the Java script from being run from every website and only allow trusted sites. No Script for Firefox works quite well.

Look it....... I paid 60 bucks for a copy of XP 64 that I run on this Athlon box I'm on. Everything else on it is free. There's nearly 12 gig of software installed. I haven't a need for anything at the moment. I can't remember the last virus I had on my machines. No intrusions and no crashes. Look around a little. There are loads of good people out there writing some very good software that aren't looking to get rich. Help em out someway if you can. There are more ways to help other than money. But a few bucks is nice for them. They invest huge chunks of their time to make the stuff.

Linux?? Sweet!!! 2000 plus programs included with many. All free. Break outta the box and be willing to learn something new. It's worth the effort!!

Offline utahbeekeeper

• House Bee
    • Millcreek Valley Farm
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 01:03:18 am »
I agree with ZuniBee . . . like AVG alot.  I purchased two licenses which is still cheap, and it seems to be a fine asset.  I had nothing but trouble with Norton and McAffee, and my previous machine was very hard to rid of orphan Norton files.

I also agree with Understudy most wholeheartedly . . . good security habits are a must!  JP
Pleasant words are like an honeycomb, sweet to the soul and health to the bones.  Prov 16:24

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 10:20:37 am »
Hey,

On my pc I also use AVG Free and love it. It has almost daily updates.
I also have a-squared (free) and run it every two weeks to sweep the box.

Want real security???

BUY A MAC     lol   

Cheers

peter

Offline Clegs

• House Bee
  • Let the good times roll!
    • CalebGo.com - Gread dissusion forums, programmers, hobbiests, or just anyone
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 08:02:25 pm »
I keep the point of view that with a smart brain, and a router firewall, you don't need a virus program.

The reason is that, with your ports stealthed, no hacker should be able to get into your computer without you initiating the connection to him first.  Therefore, if you don't randomly download and install software without putting some research behind it, or use your computer as a server (and don't have kids using the computer, the number 1 security threat), then you should be fine without virus.

I run McAfee every few weeks and have never gotten anything, and that's just because of habit.
calebgo.com - My website

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 08:27:04 pm »
I use EZ trust. Its updates are small and frequent instead of once in awhile and a long download. I have not had any troubles and have renewed my contract with them. They offer an Internet package but with ADaware I dont think you need it.

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 07:49:49 pm »
I use Zone alarm. It come recommended from the guys who handle security for the hospital where I work.

kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 01:42:14 am »

Sincerely,
Brendhan

My Fedora system doesn't need it either.

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 02:01:06 am »

Sincerely,
Brendhan
There are antiviruses out there for *nix  and I know at work, we are trying to preparing for when the time comes. 

The antiviral software for 'nix systems is for the Windows PC's that run on the server.
Most of the Virus, Trojan, and Worm programs are written for Windows.

The system of choice for hackers (not to be confused with crackers) is a 'nix system.
I prefer Linux because it is free and open source.

I like to think of hackers and crackers as pyromaniacs.
The hackers are firemen and the crackers are arsonists.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 07:45:03 pm »
After McAfee charged my credit card to reup a subscription I had on two machines ago in the past that I no longer have, and then promised to credit me, and didn't, and then promised to let me reup the subscription on my current machine, which I could never get to work, I don't do business with them anymore.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 08:03:49 am »
AVG free.