Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: HELP SAVE A HIVE IN THE SNOW !!  (Read 1888 times)

Offline jusme

• New Bee
HELP SAVE A HIVE IN THE SNOW !!
« on: January 22, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »
My neighbors have a sawmill and cut down a tree with a beehive in it.  I've been studying beekeeping all winter and have several hives cut but not put together.  They're more interested in the honey,  but I'd like to save the bees.  Any help or ideas would be appreciated.  I do have a Nuc box built and would like to save them if I can....Any ideas????

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: HELP SAVE BINGO HIVE IN THE SNOW !!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:07:09 pm »
Julie, welcome to our forum, please introduce yourself officially in the greetings forum so we know who you are.

I am sorry, I cannot help you, I have no clue what a BINGO hive is.  Maybe someone will enlighten me, maybe I could help you.   Have a great and wonderful day, life, attract great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jusme

• New Bee
Re: HELP SAVE a HIVE IN THE SNOW !!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 08:15:43 pm »
I have no idea why it says BINGO in my posts.  I didn't write that.  Guess someones having fun at my expense.  Maybe because I posted two listings to close together.  I was trying to get some answers before it got dark.  Listen,  it's ironic that I've been studying beekeeping for weeks and when I stopped by my Amish neighbors house today they said they cut a tree down full of bees.  They were just going to wait for the bees to die and take the honey.  I'm in Michigan and was trying to find some help to save these bees.  I doubt they'll make it through the night, as we've got a lot of snow here....  anyway,  sorry if I posted wrong,  I was just looking for some help from people that know bees a lot better than I do....

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:25 pm »
Cindi,
Where did you come up with Bingo hive?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 08:23:27 pm »
now that i have read your second post....is the hive exposed?  if it is, take even a cardboard box if that is all you have and push some stick through to simulate frames.  it is possible that the bees will move into your box.  a  hive body and frames might give you a better chance...you'd have to put it right over the exposed comb.

if it's to cold, there is no chance.  if it warms up during the day, you have a slim chance.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:52:49 pm »
Read my reply in your other post.  And welcome to the forum.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*