Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WOW Swarm Save-I hope!!  (Read 1621 times)

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
WOW Swarm Save-I hope!!
« on: May 03, 2009, 12:47:47 am »
I have not seen swarm in 30 years, but today was my day.  Went over to check on the 2 hives and there in a pine tree about 30 ft. from the hives a huge swarm in a pine tree.  Gathered everything I could imagine needing and returned to the tree.  Set a 10 frame deep with 9 frames as near as I could, after spraying all the plastic foundation sheets with 1:1 sugar water and Bee Healthy(rec. amount)  Sprayed the swarm with the same and tryed to remove a handful or two without much success. Sprayed them again and added a little smoke, bent the limb down as close as possible and shook it  fairly well.  lots of bees in the air(not agitated) and a pile beside the hive and behind.  Gave them some time(10 minutes) and repeated the bend and shake.  Took about 3 or 4 times and most of the bees seemed to be happily in the hive.  No more on the ground, a small cluster on the front of the hive. Smoked them a bit, they went in the hive.  Put an entrance reducer in place(smallest opening), Picked up the whole works and moved to a location in a row with the original hive.  Put on a feeder, added 1:1 syrup w/Bee Healthy, put some leafed out limbs in front of the entrance.  After an hour, lifted the cover and bees seemed to be feeding very well already.  Hope I did something right as there is no turning back.  Worried about them moving back to the original hive since its only 3 feet away. Great Day!  Feel free to rip apart my procedure as I have no clue if I did anything right. I think it looks good to me. :)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: WOW Swarm Save-I hope!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:55:28 am »
99 times out of 100 if the queen is with them there is no going back. possible 100 times out of 100.
The closeness in a case like this makes little if any difference.
If they leave it will be because they don't like what you gave them, but they will not go back to the parent hive. Make sure the box you gave them is enough space.
Some time I under estimate the size of the swarm and have to add another box asap. Good luck with them. doak :)

Offline gguidester

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 01:08:50 am »
Thanks Doak,  They seemed fit pretty well although it seemed like a boatload of bees at first.  I think adeniline probably contributed to that though. I was encouraged that after an hour they were up and feeding pretty well.  Thanks for your reply!  I will keep all posted.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 02:16:04 am »
Sounds to me like you did just right! They won't be going back to the original hive unless they've lost their queen, which it does not sound like they did from your writing. Enjoy the new addition to your row of hives!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:19:49 am »
With the 2 hives that close together the drift between hives should be fairly equal.  I would suggest pulling a frame of brood from the parent hive and placing it in the swarm hive.  Both to help anchor the swarm and to bolster the population as it begins to dwindle until the queen has enough combs to kick into high gear.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!