Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: screened bottom board and winter  (Read 4704 times)

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
screened bottom board and winter
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »
I am assuming that i should put the slider in the screened bottom board for winter?

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: screened bottom board and winter
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:54:39 pm »
i do.  i don't think you'll find many hive in the wild, in our northern climates, that have their bottoms hanging open.   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:55:46 pm »
Thats another million dollar question. Some say put one in, others say leave it open all winter. Ive got half of mine open and the other half closed up so I will know next year what works for me. I'm about 700 miles south of you, with varied winters.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:00:24 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:40:05 pm »
I am assuming that i should put the slider in the screened bottom board for winter?

I'm in Texas and I put closure boards in when it gets down to 60s at night and 80s in the days. Bees must keep brood around 91 if I remember right, it's much easier when you help them.Worker bees help keep them warm when they are needed, when they are not needed it frees them up to do their job.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:27:24 pm »

I do use screened bottom board their are open all the time .

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:06:29 pm »
I never use them except to take a mite count and im in Nebraska and we get way down below zero in winter. I've found so long as they have plenty of stores they do just fine. As a rule I try not to take any fall honey unless there is a sizable surplus this way they have more than enough for winter. Ive never lost bees to the cold only to a lack of food. That being said do what you feel comfortable doing no two beeks seem to do it the exact same way and most are succesful. Dont be afraid to experiment and find what works best for you.

Offline pollenchucker

• House Bee
  • 42 days and their wings fall off, eh?
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »
Funny last year everyone here said keep them open as they were intended to be.  Now we are closing them back up.  I left mine about 1.5 inches open just to let in a little air.

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 12:47:31 pm »
I leave mine open all winter last year. Helps in ventilation. Bees aren't afraid of the cold just the dampness. I'll do the same this year.

Offline bugleman

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 01:32:46 pm »
I like the ventilation that the open bottom gives the hive.  I do believe that cold wind (less than 20-25degrees F)  will make them burn up honey very fast if left open.  This year I will slide in the bottom covers when we get our first cold snap and remove them some time in late February.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 02:25:35 pm »
keep mine open year round 'cept doing the mite count.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:36:11 am »
I close mine up last week using a political sign that I cut to size.  I made sure that the elections were over though!   :-D

I decided to close them up to keep west wind from blowing up through as well as to prevent light from entering.  I read in one of those many articles written that compared solid BB to screened BB and it mentioned that it appears that the queen doesn't like to lay in the frames near the light.  But what do I know.......I have half of my hives with solids and the other have with screened. 
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.