Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To strain "mash & strain" honey  (Read 32130 times)

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
To strain "mash & strain" honey
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 01:48:26 am »
Quote from: TREBOR
well glad thats settled
 Finsky,.........please please please tell me what a shoe trampler is?

English says "ordinary englishman" . In Finland we often use term "ordinary shoe consumer" or "shoe trampler" or "street trampler" . I do not know what it is in USA.

The word? It suit well, Trambler Definition:  
 [n]  someone who walks with a heavy noisy gait or who stamps on the ground
[n]  someone who injures by trampling  

Yes it is. What he know about him, he injures his shoes by walking but makes nothing more harms. Let your imagination gallop!

http://www.cs.ust.hk/~yiu/albums/USA2/8Dec/full/DCP_1290.JPG

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 02:12:03 am »
Quote from: Ruben

Very well spoken MB, I also believe Finsky did not mean to offend anyone.

Heheh.  We have a story about our president Kekkonen. He was famous for many things.

Once president Kekkonen visited in the farmhouse and they drinked coffee. Some  dropps of coffee sliped on the tablecloth and president  apologized and wondered how it may happen.
- Hostess : Oh mister president, that's nothing.

Soon happened same to host and he was  sorry for that too!
- Hostess : Oh mine. There I have another bungler!

Afterwards Kekkonen sent a new tablecloath and it was a signature in the card:

Greetings from that first bungler

Offline beebiz

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 04:38:48 am »
I just read the information about the Jackson Horizontal Hive on Rupert's Honey Site in addition to chekcing out Michael's horizontal hive.  All I have to say is that I sure wish I had found these before I started keeping my bees in a vertical Lang!!!!

I originally intended to keep them in Top Bar Hives  But after seeing pics of collapsed comb, I got spooked and shyed away from them.  Besides, I really wanted to keep them in equipment that could easily be interchanged with Lang equipment if needed.  But, the Langs are sooo hard on my back.  I've had ruptured disks, herniated disks, and have degenerative joint disease in my spine!  Combine these conditions with some lifting and you have a recipe for more surgery and WAY TOO MUCH television watching time..... not to mention all the pain and additional meds!!  I just don't need that!

I love the idea of the horizontal hives reducing the pounds to be lifted.  And, from what I understand about the JHH, they can be done much like a TBH and even further reduce the amount of weight to be lifted.  WONDERFUL!!!!!

But, I do have a question.  Can I disassemble mediums (I don't have enough deeps to do this) and re-assemble them to make the horrizontal hive?  What I mean is, would constructing one this way be structurally sound enough?  If not, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

About the other issues.....  It was and is not my intention to try to run anyone (knowledgeable or not so knowledgeable) off.  I don't want to do that.  And, I might also make mention that I am NOT a thin skinned person.  But...... it is EXTREMELY rude, impolite, and down right arrogant to use "stupid" or other highly insulting adjectives to describe a person or their ideas simply because they differ from yours!  I don't care how smart or intelligent you are, you just don't do that.... especially in an industry that is constantly begging for newcomers.

And, as for the "Afro style" comment, I was darned offended.  And, if a person has any familiarity with the USA (past or present), I'd bet my last dollar that they know why!!!

Mr. Finsky, I have two suggestions for you.  You didn't ask for them, but I'm going to give them to you "free of charge" anyway.  First, when doling out your vast knowledge about beekeeping, don't do it in such a heavy-handed (or as Trebor called it, "shoe trampler") manner!!  Second, before you assume things about a person on a message board, you might check out their "profile."  It just might have some valuable information about the person.  For example, in my profile, next to "Occupation" it says "disabled."  For personal reasons, I don't like stating that I am disabled in a message.  That's why it's in my profile.  And, a quick check in my dictionary and I find that the very first definition for "disabled" is that is a noun meaning "People who are crippled or otherwise physically handicapped."  That might have given you an indication that I am not a "typical" beekeeper and therefore, will probably not be able to manage my bees in a "typical" manner.
Smile!  The rest of the world will wonder what the heck you're up to!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 05:35:08 am »
Sorry beebiz! I can see that you real  reasons to give me some lectures.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 08:00:10 am »
Quote from: Finsky

Yes it is. What he know about him, he injures his shoes by walking but makes nothing more harms. Let your imagination gallop!

You don't EVEN want to see MY shoes!!!   :lol:

-- Kris

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 08:14:20 am »
Quote from: beebiz

And, as for the "Afro style" comment, I was darned offended.  And, if a person has any familiarity with the USA (past or present), I'd bet my last dollar that they know why!!!

It's my understanding that extractors are rare in Africa, and most african beekeepers "crush and strain" their crop.  And knowing Finsky's use of English as a second language (and watching him mangle his words over the years!), it wasn't difficult for me to understand his meaning.  No offense was meant.  A person who has familiarity with the contributors on this forum would know why.

-- Kris

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
U N D E R S T A D I N G ????
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 08:21:23 am »
Funny I never had any problem understanding what Finsky ment.

but I suppose that comes from having an understanding of the world, the ENTIRE world.

I would also like to know if any who were offended by Finsk's remarks,
have attempted to learn HIS language? Hmmmm.

That would be in the country of FINLAND. A country with an interesting history.

I also recently read that FINLAND is more competitve than the US in the business world. WOW. Now isn't that something? For people who can't write or speak English well at that????   WOW.

Ah the INTERNET, the WORLD's  equalizer?  8)

beebiz, the world will not think less of you if you are disabled and cannot do certain things.  Although you state that you had no intention of dwelling on YOUR disability, you somehow managed to make IT the focal point of your argument.  So what's it gonna be?

In any event, good luck.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2006, 10:23:44 am »
Quote from: Kris^
Quote from: beebiz

It's my understanding that extractors are rare in Africa, and most african beekeepers "crush and strain" their crop.  And knowing Finsky's use of English as a second language (and watching him mangle his words over the years!), it wasn't difficult for me to understand his meaning.  No offense was meant.  A person who has familiarity with the contributors on this forum would know why.

-- Kris

My thoughts exactly kris, when I first came here I didn't know what to think of how finsky uses english words, but it sounds harsh to people coming here that dont know him,, he just tries to help and sometimes he sounds harsh, but you keep coming and you will see, I dont think he meant anything by it..........plus he has apolgized twice,,, lets move on!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2006, 10:34:26 am »
beebiz, here's some pics and info about a honey press,,,,, this guy made it because he uses topbar hives, if I can find some more I will post it......

http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/press.htm

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
FINSKY & STRAINING
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2006, 10:55:11 am »
BEEBIZ,

I DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT FINSKY MEANT ANYTHING BUT WELL MEANING IN HIS ADVICE. LIKE MYSELF HE IS BLUNT WITH HIS THOUGHTS ON BEES. HE HAS GIVEN ME ADVISE MANY TIMES AND ALSO MANY TIMES I HAVE READ HIS MESSAGES ON HOW HE WOULD HANDLE CERTAIN SITUATIONS. SOMETIMES HE MAY HAVE TOLD ME IN A WAY THAT I COULD TAKE IT WRONG BUT I UNDERSTAND HIS MEANING AND DO NOT TAKE IT THE WRONG WAY..HE APPEARS TO ME TO HAVE A LOT OF UP STAIRS KNOWLEDGE ON BEE KEEPING. ENOUGH SAID ON THIS.
I MYSELF HAVE NO EXTRACTOR YET AND HAVE MASHED MANY A COMB UP ALTHOUGH I WOULD PREFER NOT TOO. MY WIFE BOUGHT ME A STRAINER AT WALMART FOR PROCESSING VEGETABLES. IT LOOKS LIKE AN OBLONG BASKET AND HAS EXTENDABLE HANDLES THAT ALLOWS ME TO SET IT ON TOP OF A OBLONG PLASTIC PAN (ALSO FROM WALMART). THE MESH IN IT LOOKS LIKE SCREENDOOR MESH BUT IT IS STAINLESS STEEL. I MASH AND LET IT DRIP FOR AN HOUR OR SO THEN MASH MORE AND SO ON. THIS WORKED VERY WELL FOR ME. THE FIRST YEAR I USED THIS I PUT UP 60+ PINTS AND ABOUT 10 QUARTS OUT OF 5 HIVES.

HOPEFULLY ONE DAY I CAN GET ME AN EXTRACTOR DO IT UP RIGHT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BEEKEEPING BUT I THINK YOU CAN HANDLE 2-3 HIVES AS EASY AS ONE. IT IS A VERY ENJOYABLE HOBBY.
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 12:54:45 pm »
I have used womens hose (stockings) (New, or course!!!) in the past (to strain honey...not to wear!).  

Does anyone see a problem with this?  They are cheap and will streatch over a 5-gallon bucket.  When you are finished, you just squeez them from the top down and there isn't much honey left in the fabric.

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 03:57:22 pm »
The comb you are going to crush for honey production won't have brood in it so whether or not it is small cell to fight mites is not really an issue.  Right?  Every time you make the bees draw out a frame of wax it's just time away from doing other things.  $200.00 for an extractor / $4.00 jar of honey.  You can make your money back and some in your first year.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 04:18:38 pm »
Quote from: Chad S
The comb you are going to crush for honey production won't have brood in it so whether or not it is small cell to fight mites is not really an issue.  Right?  Every time you make the bees draw out a frame of wax it's just time away from doing other things.  $200.00 for an extractor / $4.00 jar of honey.  You can make your money back and some in your first year.

Good Post Chad, But Beebiz was just looking for another way to get honey without buying a extractor right now and if Beebiz use's a top bar hive a extractor is worthless,,,, but sooner or later with regular langstroth hive's a extractor is the way to go......... oh and by the way I charge $5.50 for a pint jar and $60.00 for a case of 12 pint jars.........everything has gone up ;) and thats only .50 cents higher than last year and allready I have 6 cases pre-sold and 8 jars not counting the jars for family and i dont advertise or sale to stores!!!!, starting my second year of beekeeping for myself....... I stile have to crush and strain the removal hives so its good practice.......

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 04:28:29 pm »
Normal hive produces 100 lbs honey. When you crush honeycombs you loose 50 lbs every year and you get 50.  

What is your consumer prise for honey ?  3-4$ /lbs.  It makes per year 150-200 $.

But if you have 1 hive, it may die or it may bring 400 lbs honey.  But it is unprobable that someone could learn beekeeping with one hive. Some year yield may be  40 lbs per year if swarm escapes.

Offline beebiz

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 04:50:42 pm »
Finsky wrote:
Sorry beebiz! I can see that you real reasons to give me some lectures.

Finsky, I appreciate your apology, I accept it, and I forgive you.

Jack Parr wrote:
I would also like to know if any who were offended by Finsk's remarks, have attempted to learn HIS language? Hmmmm.

That would be in the country of FINLAND.

First, I am well aware of the fact that Finsky hails from FINLAND....  I checked his profile, plus right under his avatar it says, "Location: Finland 60 north degree!"

Next, no sir I have never tried to learn Finnish or Swedish.  But, the last time I noticed, English was the language that was used to communicate on this forum.

As I said, I have never tried to learn the native tongue of Finland, but I have learned some German and some Spanish.  One of the first things that I was taught about using a language other than my own was that one should NOT use the adjectives found in another language unless one knows the impact that the adjectives used might carry in the other language.

I now understand and believe that Finsky meant no offense by his remarks.  I also believe that he now knows why his remarks were so offensive to me.  He has now apologized to me in a way that I have been able to understand that it is an apology.  And, I have forgiven him.  I harbor no bad feelings or ill will toward him.  And, I would welcome his input in the future.

TwT wrote:
beebiz, here's some pics and info about a honey press,,,,, this guy made it because he uses topbar hives, if I can find some more I will post it......

http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/press.htm

Thank you for this information TwT.  I've read the entire beekeeping portion of Mr. Satterfield's site.  And, I have been considering building a honey press based on his design.  And, I also noticed that he says, "Next, the comb is put into a bag for pressing. The bags I use are nylon mesh laundry bags that I purchase at local discount stores . Similar bags are sold in SCUBA diving shops."  But, #1, I have been unable to locally locate the nylon mesh laundry bags that he speaks of.  #2, there are no local diving shops that I am aware of.  All of this inspired my original question:
beebiz wrote:
...what kind of material should I purchase to strain my "crush & strain" honey?

And, that one simple question led to all all of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This must be beekeeping and it must be in the USA!! :lol:

COLVIN wrote:
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BEEKEEPING BUT I THINK YOU CAN HANDLE 2-3 HIVES AS EASY AS ONE. IT IS A VERY ENJOYABLE HOBBY.

With the condition of my back as well as other physical problems, there is no way that I could handle 2 or 3 hives if they were kept in the Lang deeps.  Using Lang mediums gave me hope that I could handle 1 or maybe two.  But, after Finsky and Michael's suggestion to use the horizontal hives, I feel sure that I can probably handle a dozen or more!  Simply because of the fact that it can be done without all of the heavy lifting.

Jack Parr wrote:
beebiz, the world will not think less of you if you are disabled and cannot do certain things. Although you state that you had no intention of dwelling on YOUR disability, you somehow managed to make IT the focal point of your argument. So what's it gonna be?

I realize that the wold will think no less of me because of my inabilities to do certain things.  And, really wouldn't care if they did.  The "personal" reasons of which I spoke refers to my own problem with dealing with the idea that I am disabled.  To look at me, you would never know that there was a thing in the world wrong with me except that I am about 50 pounds overweight.  And, the looks from others in the past have spoke volumes to this!  But, the real "kick in the groin" is the fact that I am only 45 years old.... I've not been injured in an accident, I've not been wounded in combat, nor was I born with a debilitating affliction.  And, in my world unless the aforementioned circumstances apply, a 45 year old man is not supposed to be disabled!!  Yet, I am.  And, mentally I don't deal with it very well.  That's why I don't like to have it "in my face."

When I made my original post, I had no intention of dwelling on my disabilities.  But, thanks to the direction that this thread went, I had little choice but to make "IT the focal point" of my argument, as you say.

So, what it will be is this.  I will very seldom utilize my disabilities as the focal point of my requests for information about beekeeping.  But, if I am doing or wanting to do things in a manner which is outside the "norm" because of my disabilities, and someone tries to deter me from using methods that are outside the "norm," I will introduce the fact of my disabilities in order to educate that person as to the "method to my madness."  That is how it will be

Oh, and thank you for the "good luck" wishes.... in any event!

Offline beebiz

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 04:56:45 pm »
By the way, no one has bothered to address this quettion yet:

beebiz wrote:
But, I do have a question. Can I disassemble mediums (I don't have enough deeps to do this) and re-assemble them to make the horrizontal hive? What I mean is, would constructing one this way be structurally sound enough? If not, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

The "ideas or suggestions" to which I refer are to ideas or suggestions as to how I might be able to use the mediums for the horizontal hive.

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 05:29:50 pm »
TWT:

I get $6.00 a lb for honey.  I sold a case of 24 1lb jars for $110.00.  I used $4.00 as an example to show that even at rock bottom prices you can make back the cost of extracting equipment.  I made back ALL of my start up costs and some.

I just can't see trying to strain honey in a pair of panty hose?

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 05:37:17 pm »
Quote from: Chad S
TWT:

I just can't see trying to strain honey in a pair of panty hose?

there isn't a extractor for topbar hives, I dont think anyway,,, well I have use it and will continue useing it because when i do removals, that the only way i can  :wink: , I have a motorized 24 frames extractor and it works great for my hives but still have to use panthose for removal's, I put the comb in it and start ringing (twisting) and get alot of honey, but you right, it is better to have a extractor on frame combs...

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 05:45:05 pm »
Hi all
I really can't believe the B.S. that Finskys come in for. As I think the only one here who was actualy BORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in Africa and have lived and visited countries in the north, middle and south of this vast continent. I TOOK NO OFFENCE IN THE COMMENTS HE MADE. The only offence that was there was found by those actively looking for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o  
Late last year I visited both Zimbabwe and Zambia. Both are amongst the poorest coutries on this earth. There are a good few people I met in these places that could give us lessons in humility and decency. As well as coping with conditions that make some of the poor in the west look like kings (YOU HAVE NO IDEA OF THIS KIND OF POVERTY UNLESS YOU HAVE WITNESSED IT) Some of them would have to work for a couple of MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! before they where lucky enough to see $20.00 let alone find it on the door step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also seen beekeepers in these areas keeping bees the same way that has been practiced for hundreds of years. None I met would be offended by describing some of there methods as basic or primitive. Yet they all exibit a great pride in their bees and some could teach us a thing or two about handling and bee management, as well as dealing with adverse circumstances.
 In terms of Finskys comments about smash and strain being AFRO STYLE HE WAS 100% CORRECT I'VE SEEN IT DONE AND HELPED DO IT.
This post is not meant as an attack on others but an attempt to set the record straight and inform those who have not been fortunate enough to visit this varied and diverse continent.
As for people being offended, should I now whinge about some reactions to the terminology AFRO STYLE BECAUSE I WAS BORN THERE. AFTER ALL WHAT'S WRONG WITH AFRICANS? PERSONALLY I MIGHT GET OFFENDED IF SOMEONE CALLED ME AMERICAN BUT I WOULD NOT WASTE MY TIME GIVING THEM AN EAR FULL.

Have a nice day y'all
Regards Ian
P.S ONLY KIDDING

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 08:45:41 pm »
Quote from: TwT

there isn't a extractor for topbar hives, I dont think anyway,,,

http://betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=916

http://betterbee.com/departments2.asp?dept=466&bot=88

Just got my new betterbee catalog today this is what it says about this extractor on page 55;

"This extractor was originally built to extract frames from top bar hives."
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/