Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Holy crap this is awesome!  (Read 4213 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Holy crap this is awesome!
« on: August 30, 2008, 03:05:32 am »
I ran across this tonight... and holy cow, I just love this... tell me what you think (apart from them not leaving enough room for all the honey supers on the bottom row). 

My wife and I have been thinking about getting a garden shed, if we do, I will definately put a through-wall hive in it like in this pic.

By the way, here's the site I got that from:

http://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co.uk/store/customer/pages.php?pageid=111

They also have some small funky little hives I don't, for the life of me, understand on the bottom of the site.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: Holy crap this is awesome!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 08:42:39 am »
I think those beehouses are for people up north, in the south if you dont have enough ventalation you might could cook your hives especially when it hit 100+ degree's, looks like from the pictures they have some kind of long hive, it says it is in london so there aint know telling. 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:00:12 am »
Could be tough getting supers down off the upper hives, too. Not to mention inspections...bees flying everywhere inside.

It does look pretty cool, though!
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:08:48 am »
If you read the article and follow the embedded link for more details there is an explanation of the design of both the structure and internal hives and the external hives and how they work. I'm wondering about the usefulness of putting this thing on wheels! Interesting post, thanks.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 05:38:19 pm »
I think those beehouses are for people up north, in the south if you dont have enough ventalation you might could cook your hives especially when it hit 100+ degree's, looks like from the pictures they have some kind of long hive, it says it is in london so there aint know telling. 

That is a good point... would definately need some good ventilation... I just like how you could check the hive in pouring rain if you wanted to... and how it's tucked neatly inside... I would definately leave the top row of hives off if I did something similar... and only put hives on one side... and maybe put my hens on the other side... that would be cool, I could get eggs and check the hives at the same time.  I don't think so many bees would be flying around inside when you check the hives... as many of the flyers would be using the entrance, and once they fly out the door, I don't think they'd come back in... plus the chooks would eat the stragglers... You could even put a couple of bumble-bee nests under it, for a broader pollination effect.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 06:12:02 pm »
Go ahead and put in central heat and air....Makes working bees a year around deal...
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 08:39:33 pm »
i think you should be building one of those from scratch Sgt.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:43:47 pm »

" I just like how you could check the hive in pouring rain if you wanted to  would be cool, "

SgtMaj, Opening up a hive on a day it is pouring rain and all the bees are home.
Hope you have a good time. :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 09:47:16 pm »

" I just like how you could check the hive in pouring rain if you wanted to  would be cool, "

SgtMaj, Opening up a hive on a day it is pouring rain and all the bees are home.
Hope you have a good time. :roll:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)

Oh yeah... he he... not a good day to check the hive without a full suit, eh? 

Central heat and air would at least make it comfortable in the summer heat... heh.