Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blueberry Production  (Read 1391 times)

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Blueberry Production
« on: August 19, 2012, 08:54:11 pm »
Was offered to put some bees on 3 acres of blueberries in southeast louisiana and was wondering if any of you worked bluberries, how many for 3 acres and what kind of production I would expect?
James
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Blueberry Production
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 10:35:26 pm »
can't answer your questions, but they do really like the blueberries.  we have some and my neighbor has a u-pick field.  our blueberry production has been up a lot since since i started keeping bees!  for me, it's a good source because they bloom after the raspberries and before the blackberries.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »
work a deal for all you can eat blueberries. lol

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:23:49 pm »
I keep about a dozen hives at the most here at the house year to year and we have a couple hundred bushes out.   Remember there is a lot blooming out at the same time as the berries. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 09:35:19 pm »
2 hives per acre.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:44:01 pm »
THanks for all the replies folks and thx for getting to answer I was looking for Scott!  :-D
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:48:02 pm »
One of the "you pick em" blueberry farms near Tyler told me that with such a mild winter last year - they their blueberries were blooming in January - and they called in local beekeepers to place hives in January!  I don't know at what rate per acre, though...

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »
Hey Rex and same around Kentwood where this fella is and he mentioned around that time of the year so I will keep tabs on it to bring my gals up there but may just work a deal on blue berries beings we go pick em at his place.

anything