Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: excavating  (Read 1992 times)

Offline wrk4beer

• New Bee
excavating
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:59:52 am »
I am going to have my pond dredged soon.
My hive is on the backside of the pond and the
excavator is going to have to go near it.
The guy digging wanted to know if I could move
the hive for a day while he is working over on that side
I dont really want to do this as the hive is doing great
will the bees be bothered by a large machine being close to them
any suggestions?
Thanks
Keith
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
Mark Twain

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: excavating
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:10:17 am »
Your bees should not be adversly affected if you close the hive for a day. Just make sure you have proper ventilation for them. Don't know your weather where you are, do you use sbb ? I would seal the hive up and leave it right where it is, unless you fear the machine has to operate where the hive is.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wrk4beer

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 08:57:07 am »
I do use a sbb and it has been in the 90's past few days but usually stays in the 80's
Took the digger guy out to the hive and he is less worried about them now
Just to be on the safe side I probably will seal them up but wont have to move them
Thanks Keith
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
Mark Twain

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 11:04:06 am »
Not a problem Keith, glad to help.

Incidentally, About  5 weeks ago, I got a call about bees in a tree where filming was going on. A Japanese movie called The Yellow Handkerchief, anyways, they had to film near the hive which was approx. 24' up in the tree. After getting all of the facts, I went out on a Wednesday evening, just before dark, went up in the lift, waited till all the bees were in the tree, then sealed off the entrance with hardware cloth. Because they had to film over the next day and a half from the tree, near the hive, I left the entrance sealed until Friday morning. Went back, and removed the screen and the bees are doing fine. I love when people do the right thing, somene could have blasted the bees but there were many people involved who were very concerned for the wellfare of these bees. It was a beautiful thing.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 10:36:38 pm »
I'd move then several days ahead otherwise a lot of drifters will go back to the old location and circle making the backhoe operator nervous.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything