Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sears and Roebuck  (Read 8969 times)

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
Sears and Roebuck
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:31:54 am »
I was wondering if there is anyone who is old enough too remembers when you could buy bees from Sears and Roebuck through their mail order catalog.  They sold a bee that was called a "Midnight Bee" they were a dark blueish black bee.  My question is this, does anyone know if this strain of bee is still available today an if so where can it be obtained. 
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline preston39

• House Bee
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:12:57 am by preston39 »
I'm  Preston

Offline Buzzen

• House Bee
Re: Sears and Roebuck
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:08:29 am »
That is interesting. I'm beginning to wonder if there was anything you couldn't buy from Sears!

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
When you get as old as I am you can remember a lot of things Sears and Roebuck sold you would just as soon forget about.....

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
you could also order guns and ammo from them.  my father bought a sweet 45 out of the catalog.  you could get your farm stuff, household stuff, work clothes...and sunday dresses  :-D

then you took the out of date catalog to the two holer out back.....which i think is what rbinhood was referring to.   :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 11:45:06 am »
Ah...back when integrity and customer satisfaction were at the forefront of successful business models, even before profit, as the smart ones knew profit would follow eventually.  Sears and Roebuck also regularly supplied items not listed in its cataloges with nothing more than a letter of request by the consumer, payable COD.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:58:22 am »
at the 2 holer is where printed tattoes came from

Offline oliver

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:14:25 pm »
My first bees came from Sears & Roebuck, They were listed in their farm catalogue along with a lot of other ag related stuff..Not absolutely certain but think the 2 or 2-1/2 lb pkgs were 12.50, remember them being docile and very productive..Starline comes to mind along with midnight, been a while so possibly wrong.. have a good day..dl

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 12:22:19 pm »
I was wondering if there is anyone who is old enough too remembers when you could buy bees from Sears and Roebuck through their mail order catalog.  They sold a bee that was called a "Midnight Bee" they were a dark blueish black bee.  My question is this, does anyone know if this strain of bee is still available today an if so where can it be obtained. 

YES on buying bees

"Midnight Bee" come from Dadant ask Lawrence John Connor you can find him it   

http://www.wicwas.com/index.html

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 12:45:27 pm »
I was wondering if there is anyone who is old enough too remembers when you could buy bees from Sears and Roebuck through their mail order catalog.  They sold a bee that was called a "Midnight Bee" they were a dark blueish black bee.  My question is this, does anyone know if this strain of bee is still available today an if so where can it be obtained.  

Yes, I remember! In fact it was the Sears and Roebuck Farm Catalog that got me interested in bees in the first place. I was laying around my parents house and I started looking at all the bee stuff in the catalog, then I ordered the "Hive and the Honey Bee" from that catalog. I ordered a bunch of hives and all of the other stuff that I needed, then I ordered 5 package bees from some place in Georgia. I think it was called "York Bee Company" or something like that.

It was 1966 and when I got drafted into the Army in 1967, they all died out and my dad burnt the hives. It took me about 43 years to get back into beekeeping, but I really owe my love for bees to that Sears and Roebuck Catalog.

Larry
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:07:11 pm by Larry Bees »

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 02:39:29 pm »
there was a time when you could order a house from sears

Offline dragonfly130

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »
My first bee's and equipment came from Sears and roebuck. Starline queen.
If I remember correctly Brushy Mountain was the equipment shipper. Sorry but we had a one flusher in the house by that time.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 04:19:58 pm »
My first bee's and equipment came from Sears and roebuck. Starline queen.
If I remember correctly Brushy Mountain was the equipment shipper. Sorry but we had a one flusher in the house by that time.

If I remember correctly
Sears and Roebuck.    Dadant
Starline queen.           Dadant
Montegomery Ward     A.I.Root

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 09:51:47 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »
there was a time when you could order a house from sears
There is some disagreement, but the story is that this house in San Ramon, CA is a Sears catalog kit home.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 07:53:19 pm »
My first smoker came from S & R.

You could even get car parts from them, bought a rebuild kit for a Olds 455 from them (that had to be in 1981), all quality components too!
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline njoylife10

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:49:09 pm »
Oh my goodness did they have a special catalog for that stuff.  We just found an old S&R in an old barn we acquired.  Now I'm really going to have to thumb through it and take a look!

cool
njoylife10

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:46 pm »
Sears catalogs lost a lot of down home readers when they went to them darn slick glossy pages !

Any one remember what I'm talking about ?

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:39 pm »
My grandfather and father in law both ordered bees from Sears. I am trading a guy a new smoker for my grandfathers old sears smoker. The old sears smoker is more valuable to me being that my grandfather used it for years!! However, I will probably never use it, but it will be nice to pass along to my kids when or if their beekeeping days come.

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 10:21:18 pm »
YEP SURE DO!  Them pages were rougher than a corncob and would not take crap off of anything! :flyingpig:

Offline ccar2000

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 12:55:41 am »
Are these the bees you are talking about?
http://russellapiaries.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2019319
I also remember going through the "Gift Catalog" around Christmas. There were a lot of toys and great stuff in there!
It is what it is