Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lavender pollination and honey  (Read 4068 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Lavender pollination and honey
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:03:26 am »
G'day everybody, has anyone ever put hives on lavender? I appreciate there are a few posts here and on other sites about it but none related to Australian conditions. Has anyone ever gotten lavender honey before? What's it like? What sort of returns have you had from what size planting? How many hives would you put on a block if your plan was pollination as well as production? I've heard 2 hives per acre is ideal?

Offline ericthebee

• New Bee
Re: Lavender pollination and honey
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:22:45 pm »
I have about 40 large lavender plants and my bees love it, but also flowering at the time was tea tree, so i had frames with a large white section, (lavendar) surrounded by the dark tea tree,  they hone was to dye for, and i could have sold it for double the money.   The lavendar by iteself was very light flavoured and coloured and runny  the tea tree gave it incredible depth. The tea tree tasted by iteslf like molasses.   Hives in Blue mountains.  There are of course many different types of lavendar, and i think would vary the flavour just slightly. Mine are a comerical variety used for oil and flower in December .

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Lavender pollination and honey
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:25:02 am »
so i had frames with a large white section, (lavendar) surrounded by the dark tea tree,  they hone was to dye for, and i could have sold it for double the money.   

Is lavender honey white in colour?

anything