Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wires for frames  (Read 6006 times)

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
Wires for frames
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:11:00 pm »
What size and type of wire are PPL using for frames? I am referring to the vids that the Administrator has on his vids.
Cheers
Al
First packages - 2 queens and bees May 17 2014 - doing well

Moots

Re: Wires for frames
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »
What size and type of wire are PPL using for frames? I am referring to the vids that the Administrator has on his vids.

28 gauge....This is a link to what I use!

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 10:55:57 pm »
Thanks Moots
Cheers
Al

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:03 am »
The FatBeeMan has a video where he uses fishing string.  Good luck

Joe

Moots

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »
The FatBeeMan has a video where he uses fishing string.  Good luck

Joe

flyboy,
I've seen and watched the video Joe is referring to, but personally have never tried using monofilament instead of actual wire, so I can't offer a hands on opinion.  Over time, I've seen a lot of comments about it on different forums...Like most things in beekeeping, it seems to work well for some, and not so well for others.  I've seen some say that their bees won't build comb around it while other say the bees keep eating through it...And others say it works fine.  Who knows!  :-D

I've wired about 100 frames the other day getting ready for spring, I will admit, it wasn't as frustrating as I remember it being last year...Once you find a system that works for you, a lot of folks make a jig.  Instead I set me a stool up in front of the vise on my workbench, get comfortable and settle in.  I insert the brass eyelets before assembling my frames...After assembly and when I'm ready to wire, I do the following to wire my medium frames:

Step 1: Start the two small nails, nailed about 3/4ths of the way in on the side of the sidebars that will be used to secure the wire.
Step 2: Place the top bar of the frame in the vise, inverted...Bottom side up with nails on side bar to the right and facing me.
Step 3: Thread the wire through the top hole on the right, straight across and out the top hole on the left, back in the bottom hole on the left and out the bottom hole on the right.
Step 4: Wrap the end around the bottom nail 3 to 6 times, and finish inserting the nail with a pair of channel lock pliers.  
Step 5: Take the slack out of the wire, pulling it somewhat tight by strumming it like a guitar string.
Step 6: Then I take an Irwin Bar clamp (with a block of wood attached to one end with a slot to allow my wire on the left side not be be pinched) and suck in the two sidebars towards      each other. (Note: Don't get too crazy, I have broken a frame  :'( )
Step 7: Pull the wire tight again while strumming it, then grab the wire several inches past where it is exiting the frame, either with some needle nose pliers or vise grips, while holding tension, cut the wire from the spool. (Note: Yes you will break the wire if you pull to hard till you get use to it...and even on occasion after you are use to it.  :-D, sometimes it's a thin line between tight and TOO tight. LOL!)  I'd say in the last 100 frames I've wired, that I broke the wire trying to pull it too tight on 2 or 3 occasions!  And yes, it's frustrating as hell!
Step 8:  While holding tension, wrap 4 to 6 times around top nail and finish inserting the nail with channel lock pliers.
Step 9: Remove the bar clamp, that little extra release of tension really tightens the wires up!

This is what works for me...

Good Luck!  :)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:44 pm »
I have never personally wired any.  When I started I got some established hives.  They were single deeps with a shallow honey super.  The brood chambers were in bad repair.  I built new deeps, made the hives double deep brood chambers, 1 frame of comb and the next foundationless.  I did that with the supers also.  Last year I did build 20 or so medium honey supers, they have rite cell plastic foundation.  Have looked at several videos, whether it works or not I don't know. 

Joe

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:47:30 am »
Back when I was wiring, I bought stainless steel wire from Glorybee.  It was MUCH stronger than the tinned wire from other places.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:03 am »
I have tried the mono-filament and other than it being easier to procure I found no other benefit.   

I found it harder to work with (breaks easier when trying to tension it).
Bees seem to be more hesitant to build around it than wire.
Higher failure rate in the field.  I have never gone into a hive and found a broken wire.   I often went into hives and found broken mono-filament (and sagging foundation).   Many times I would pull into a bee yard an see mono-filament strands hanging out the entrance where the bees tried to drag it out.   Not sure if the mono-filament is breaking or the bees are chewing it. 

I have since abandoned it and gone back to wire when required.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:32 pm »
Back when I was wiring, I bought stainless steel wire from Glorybee.  It was MUCH stronger than the tinned wire from other places.
Do you remember the gauge by chance? That's what is used in aircraft maintenance.
Cheers
Al

Moots

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 01:33:05 pm »
Do you remember the gauge by chance? That's what is used in aircraft maintenance.

26 gauge....Link to Page!

Interesting...I might have to give it a try, lessening the chance of a popped wire would help my frame wiring temperament  :-D...Of course, I have a fresh untouched roll of what I'm currently using, so it'll probably be a long while before I need wire again.  :(

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 01:39:01 pm »
The SS wire is primo stuff. Boys used to use it to repair everything on their snowmobiles. Couldn't break it.
Cheers
Al

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:18:32 am »
Flyboy, do you work on aircraft.  I used to rebuild jet engines.  Used a good bit of safety wire on every bolt.

Joe

Offline flyboy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 01:46:56 am »
Flyboy, do you work on aircraft.  I used to rebuild jet engines.  Used a good bit of safety wire on every bolt.
Joe
I flew them, but the maintenance guys were one of the gang. We used to ski-doo to work together occasionally. They used them for fixing the bonnets and plexiglass screens. They also did the large screens on the 205. and 206's (helicopters) in addition to the hundreds or thousands on bolts as you mentioned.

I used to enjoy watching them. They were real pros. Taught me to be more careful. I actually did a heavy maintenance course on the PT6. Lots of fun with one pilot and a dozen maintenance guys. : 0
Cheers
Al

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:12:52 am »
fishing gear is by far the cheepest
either mono
or stainless the thinest you could find at 1/4 pound  is around 14.00 us stands up to any fish tooth
raccoons or rat so maybe bees too
jay

anything