Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive defense  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
Hive defense
« on: April 30, 2013, 04:31:29 pm »
Do drones participate in hive defense?  I was sitting watching the hive this afternoon and noted that what appeared to be a drone attacked a mud wasp that was hanging at the entrance by biting it and sort of flinging it a way.  A short tim later the wasp came back and a worker be jumped it and took it to the ground. he wasp took off and the worker got back up and carried on.  Tried to get a video to no avail. 

Also, what damage can ants do? one of my hives has a lot of ants crawling on it.
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hive defense
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 04:42:27 pm »
With the inner cover on with the flat side up, the ants can kill a hive.

With the flat side down, the bees can go through the hole and remove any ants above the inner lid, so not much, if any, damage can be done.

If you have a home made inner lid with no hole in it, the ants will take over.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 05:03:53 pm »
Both my hives this year have aggressive drones. They are more aggressive than the girls. It's actually quite funny since they can't do anything. When I open the hive a gang of drones usually comes after me.

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 06:02:23 pm »
Iddee, not sure what you mean by the flat side. My bees go through the hole which is where I have a pollen patty and the hive top feeder. 

Nietssemaj, I was amazed to see the drone appear to grab with the mouth and throw the wasp, he was a big fat drone, looked like Hoss from Bonanza!
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:43:57 pm »
 Drone thugs!   :bee:

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:30:45 am »
That is really surprising and cool to learn. Drones defending the colonies. I thought that they only provided breeding service for queens. I looked at them like "dead beat dads". Kinda makes me proud of the boys.  :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:23 am »
>Do drones participate in hive defense?

I've been buzzed by them... but they are bluffing... not saying bluffing can't work as they sound meaner than the workers...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything