Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I am folding  (Read 6355 times)

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Re: I am folding
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:20 am »
I started in 2000 with Ferrel bees. I have re queened some of my colonies several times over the years  from queen breeders and never got past that year of re queening with those.
I am going to rear a few the right way next spring if I have any colonies left. No walk away splits.
doak
Why do you say "no walk away splits.". If you're trying to keep the feral genes and develop bees more adapted to your area, wouldn't that be probably the most affective way? Or are you worried about destruction from SHB when the hive is weak?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 10:45:53 am »
If you're trying to keep the feral genes and develop bees more adapted to your area, wouldn't that be probably the most affective way?

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/can-you-afford-emergency-queens/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 01:19:11 pm »
I feel raising your own queens is good if you have the time to do it.  We can control our own stock better that way.  I personally don't have time to do it myself so I do slightly different.  When I make splits it's hundreds at the time and buying breed queens would cut into bank accounts quick.  Here's what it I do if the times not right to make the "walk away splits" letting the bees make their own queens naturally.  I'll use something like Bee-Go to drive them out my top hives.  After I get them down place an excluder between the hives letting them repopulate the top having the queen in the bottom hive body.  The next day I'll have already ordered queen cells for them I go back and put them in.  These cells are like $3 each lots less than breed queens.  Now I have unbreed queens of a diffrent stock than what I have that I'll have our drones breed.  I won't say all the cells take and I get all the splits I make like that because I don't.  But I will say I've never had a hive reject a $12 to $15 dollar queen meaning I waisted that money.  Also for that same cash I can get 4 hives if only half take that's 2 I'll make.  And usally I can average better than half easily.  Now the draw back with the cells is they are delicate and when you get them in your hands you have to use them then.  No waiting or banking they have to be put in the hive when you get them.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »
To contact_me,
I would rather raise some queens for increasing seance I would have to rear some for re queening
with queens from my stock anyhow. I did not have such good luck with walk away splits this year.

To mathispollintors,
Time is not a factor with me that early in the spring. Heat is the main factor beginning the first of July.
I have the equipment to do some queens, so if I don't try to get too many colonies I think things will turn out ok.
For some reason, I have good early buildups if I have a good colony to begin with.

To every one,
Once you have a heat related problem like I did in 86, then you have to be more careful when it is "Hot" and as your age increases. I turn 68 in December. I would like to add some more years to that.  :)doak

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 09:46:27 pm »
Hi Doak,
I just saw and read through this whole thread.  I'm glad you've reconsidered folding.  I'm sad about all of your losses.

This has been such a bad year for bees in Georgia.  I don't know anyone in my bee club who can say that they had a good year.  The weather was funny since March here in Georgia and bees and beekeepers suffered...so I'm not surprised that yours was bad like everyone else's.

I'm glad you are keeping your equipment....it's always an inspiration to have boxes, etc to hope for bees.

You are a great addition to this forum and have helped me whenever you've chimed in on mine or other posts that I've read.

Take care and keep up the good beekeeping work,

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 10:42:59 pm »
tillie, I was so up set when you told about your loss with the flood that I couldn't even reply. Hope you will forgive me. I am just sensitive about some things and when that happens I just have to shut down what I am doing at the time and get into something else.
 Love you all.  doak.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 12:45:28 am »
I am so sorry for your losses, doak.  I hope next year is better for you.

Sarah

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 02:11:09 am »
To every one,
Once you have a heat related problem like I did in 86, then you have to be more careful when it is "Hot" and as your age increases. I turn 68 in December. I would like to add some more years to that.  :)doak

Doak, I'm much younger than you and I've had a bad go with dehydration (the doc said worse for me because I'm the kind who doesn't just collapse) - not saying I'm tough I just get really really stupid and disoriented if overheated & dehydrated.
  All I can say is - tools man, tools. stuff to lift  stuff to move, stuff to move lifted stuff. - doesn't have to be pricey, just  functional.
be happy and make others happy.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 09:39:08 am »
To every one,
Once you have a heat related problem like I did in 86, then you have to be more careful when it is "Hot" and as your age increases. I turn 68 in December. I would like to add some more years to that.  :)doak

Doak, I'm much younger than you and I've had a bad go with dehydration (the doc said worse for me because I'm the kind who doesn't just collapse) - not saying I'm tough I just get really really stupid and disoriented if overheated & dehydrated.
  All I can say is - tools man, tools. stuff to lift  stuff to move, stuff to move lifted stuff. - doesn't have to be pricey, just  functional.

I know the feeling.   I am not a small fella, about 3 years ago,  I had a bad case of heat exhaustion and a viral infection at the same time.  Mind you,  I am also a truck driver.  Last thing  I remember was pulling the truck over because  I had a very bad headache.  Next thing  I know,  I am waking up in the ER.  County sheriff said he found me standing outside of my truck, standing in between the tractor and trailer, just about to fall into traffic.

After two days and a spinal tap later, I was able to stand upright again.  To this day,  if I even begin to get too hot, it affects me a lot faster.  Take care of yourself and if you can, work with a 'buddy', it not only keeps you company, it makes the work go by quicker and easier.

Big Bear

anything