Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New KTBH; adding bees  (Read 4641 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
New KTBH; adding bees
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:38 am »
My TBH is done, outside, and ready for bees(next spring probably). If I get a cut out, should I "frame in" the bars and add the comb so it doesn't go to waste and the bees don't start from scratch? I figure I could just make triangle frames to fit inside the TBH, and use rubber bands to hold in the comb, just like you do with a Langstroth hive and cut-outs. Any thoughts or other ideas?
Thanks,
Alan

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: New KTBH; adding bees
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:45 pm »
I think it's always worth having some frames around for fallen or messed up combs.  Certainly, that's what I'd prefer for a cutout.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FindlayBees

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:36:17 pm »
I will be keeping bees for the first time next spring. I have a 4ft top bar hive built and ready to go.

As far as your question on adding bees from a cutout... I have read that you can sew the comb onto the top bar. Use a heavy string and a large needle. Being careful not to sew through any brood and sew at least 1 inch from the top of the comb and bring the string up and around the top bar and back down moving the length of the top bar and comb. Cut comb to fit in the top bar hive trying not to cut out any brood, but doing so if necessary.

I also came across this method. I think I like it a bit better as string is used. Comb still has to be cut to fit, but know sewing through the comb is needed.

Ok, guess I cannot post links to other pages. Do a web search for warre comb transfer.

Offline beedad

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:14 pm »
sewing in a comb might not work unless its older brood comb.  a frame for cut outs is worlds easier. very worth the trouble of making the frame.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:28 pm »
Sewing might work on very old comb, as mentioned, if it's just brood.  I doubt it will work on new comb at all nor on heavy honey comb.  Old honey comb can usually be put in frames.  White honey comb usually can't.  A cut out is stressful enough. I think making frames is well worth the effort.  Swarm catching frames would be even better.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline sas_marine@hotmail.com

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:47:19 am »
hey i was told (or at least i thought) that you shouldnt have brood outside the hive for too long, how long would it take to do a cut out, and do you do it just whilst your standing over the hive?? i guess if you have all the frames and rubberbands ready, u just make it quick right ??? then when your done do you just take the tbh away from the langstr and just introduce a queen the next day ??? cuz i have a lang ready to cut a nuc, so i just wanna cut a thb nuc straight in ?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 07:27:47 am »
Usually I've done cutouts when it's warm, not cold and chilled brood has not been an issue.  Odds are the brood is covered in bees.
-------------------

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 07:44:32 am »
ok, when you cut the brood to fit your tbh frames, what do you do with the offcuts???? and do you do all the cutting etc over the new tbh??? because with changing brood i think the idea is to keep as many bees as possible on the frames ???

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 07:48:07 am »
you see im onmly new to this and have a tbh ready to put into action so i just dont wanna stuff up and make a fool of myself u know! i will be introducing a new mated queen
im thinking for the tbh, 2 frames of brood and grubs, 1 frame of honey and a spare frame for them to build on?? would that be suitable ?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 08:12:33 pm »
>what do you do with the offcuts?

Tie as many peices of brood comb as possible into the frame.  Think quilt.  Put as many frame of brood as you can.  Only try to save honey if it's in old black comb.  Shake all the bees off of the combs into the hive where you are putting the brood.  They will quickly cover the brood again after you put it in.
-------------------

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:47:19 am »
cool, thats good advise, cheers :p

anything