Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What kind of queen is she?  (Read 5960 times)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
What kind of queen is she?
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:50:57 am »
I've search, looked all over the web,  but I still can't figure out how to identify what type of queens I have.
Your guess?

Here are some pics.

Queen #1

Queen #2

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: What kind of queen is she?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:16 am »
That is without question the queen of Apis Mellifera. :-D

As far as what country...most likely Italian, with possible strains of Russian, Carniolan, Cordovan, and/or possibly others.

I know, not very helpful.  But coloration is only one variant, and varies quite wildly.  The coloration of the daughter bees is actually more helpful than the queen's.  And while Italians tend to be the "classic" look and Carniolans and Russians tend toward black, Russians and Carni's can also look like Italians.  And most of the hybrids are...well...mixes of the different races of bees.

Other than color, other indications in the hive are 1) swarming tendancies 2) overwintering traits (large/small clusters) 3) buildup in the spring 4) propolis tendencies ....etc etc.

But outside of that .... if you are gathering swarms, Italians are still the most populous.  If you are like me and get swarms and let your hives requeen themselves, then you have "mutts"  :-D.

Rick
Rick

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 11:17:28 am »
Ya, Apis Mellifra Muttus.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 02:06:42 pm »
Ya, Apis Mellifra Muttus.

That is what they all are...... ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 05:38:33 pm »
Yepp, mutts...but some really nice pics of mutts!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:03:20 pm »
How old is she?  Two of mine have fur on back, young?

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 06:05:45 pm »
Your queen is pretty!  Very nice new comb also! :)

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:59 pm »
Mutts, ok.  :) If bee mutts are like dog mutts, then they should have stronger traits.

I'm not sure how old these two queens are. Both are from cutouts this year.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:42:53 am »
Drones.  You'll tell more about the genetics of the queen (from/by color) by looking at the drones, I think?  Get some pics of the drones, if you can find any. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:25:41 am »
Most of the queens for quite a while have looked like the queen in the second to last pic. In the last two years I'm getting more that look like your other pictures. I call them tiger stripes. Mutts.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 11:39:31 am »
me to JP.  i remember the few i have purchased and the were big, fat, and light colored.  almost everything i have gotten from walls and trees are smaller, darker/striped.  don't remember what was in the warms i picked up this year...but the last 3 were out of pollination hives.  i'm guessing they are the big, fat ones.   :-D

mutts are good!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 12:10:19 pm »
me to JP.  i remember the few i have purchased and the were big, fat, and light colored.  almost everything i have gotten from walls and trees are smaller, darker/striped.  don't remember what was in the warms i picked up this year...but the last 3 were out of pollination hives.  i'm guessing they are the big, fat ones.   :-D

mutts are good!

Really Kathy? So you're finding your queens are striped now? And yours used to be typically golden?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:35:24 pm »
i have not found one golden queen from a capture.  most have been striped.  the one in my observation hive is almost black.  the last one i purchased, which i think was last year, was very fat, very light colored, although i think she had some light striping.

i didn't pay much attention to the ones that i got from the berry farms.  just checked to make sure she was there.  now i wish i'd payed more attention  :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 10:39:18 pm »
I think every breeder I know in the north have carni or Russians. If it were not for the massive amounts of packages being brought in, all would be on the darker side. I have not bred a light queen in years and never plan too again. Many people in the north want strains other than mass produced yellow Italians, unfortunately, we have few producers.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 10:43:43 pm »
I usually refer to the bees I catch as feral Italians. I use that term loosely as my state is really big on russian bees.

...JP

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »
It is a "striped" queen...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 07:29:02 pm »