Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoker  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Smoker
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 10:14:04 am »
Ken, the staghorn sumac has the red flower cones, yup.  when I was harvesting the cones a couple of weeks ago, the cones were very damp, not even slightly dry.  They might have been dry before the wet winter set in though.  I was surprised at the feel of the branches of the tree, I had not touched the sumac before, only marvelled at the beauty of the leaves in the fall.  The branches had a very silky feel to the touch, it was very nice to feel.

I don't know why I recall something about this.  My father was a hunter and brought home deer he had shot.  I think that I remember the antlers of the deer (or maybe the base, can't quite remember) having kind of a fuzzy feeling.  Does anyone know if this memory is correct?  Maybe that is why the sumac is called staghorn?  Don't know.

I also remember when the deer was hanging in the shed, its nose was all covered in tics.  It grossed me out completely, this I remember clear as the day I saw that.  Maybe all the tics went to the nose cause the body blood drained that way.  That I don't know either.  Anyone know?

Poison sumac, I have not a clue.  Best of a beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Smoker
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 12:24:56 pm »
>Is staghorn the sumac with the red tops on the sumac?

Yes.

>How does it differ from what they call "poison " sumac?

Poison Sumac (Toxicodendron vernix)
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/tove.html

Staghorn Sumac (Rhus typhina)
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/staghorn-sumac.html

Two very different plants that have a similar shaped leaf system.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin