Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to get the info off old hard drive  (Read 9180 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
How to get the info off old hard drive
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:28:10 pm »
The old computer went kaput. Something on the mother board gave out I think. So I take out the hard drive and put it into an external drive hooked to the new computer. THEN..... The son-in-law tells me that all the stuff was put into that hard drive through the mother board and RAM and what ever in the old computer and so I can't get to everything.  :roll:

Silly me. I was hoping that I could possible access that hard drive and use it as it has everything on it.

But nooooo....

All the wife's games..... I have to dig around and find all the original disk cause it won't let me simply move the stuff over.

Then the internet explorer. I use firefox. I was at least hoping to get the bookmarks from the old one. But I can't find them. Does anyone know where they are stored?

OK. If you are wondering, the old hard drive has the old hook up. 40 something pins. The new computer has the new fangled stream lined connections..... Just can't leave nuttin' alone.  :-\
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: How to get the info off old hard drive
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 01:57:29 pm »
The old drive is IDE and the new is SATA.  Better stuff, bigger drives, not backward compatable. :roll:

Well, there's lots of ways to keep from losing stuff, but you have to have them set up ahead of time  :roll:.  Firefox has a Xmarks add on for bookmarks.

As far as the old drive...the data there should all be available...as long as you are going windows to windows.  Not necessarily pretty, and it won't run most of the programs, but the data should be there.  Yup...reinstall all the programs from disk.  But if you had pictures...they should all be there and you only need to copy to the new.

As far as bookmarks...I found mine at: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html", c being the drive letter of the old drive.
Rick

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 03:35:52 pm »
I'm confused. That takes me to some web site.

What I am talking about is like when you have a place you go to often, or maybe something you want to get back to some time in the future you go to the top of the window and click on "BOOKMARKS" then click on "BOOKMARK THIS PAGE" . Then later you can just go up there find the place you want and click on it and go there. I had a whole bunch of them that now I am going to have to go scouring the whole internet again to see if I can find it again.

I get to here   E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile   then when I click on it it takes me here;

file:///E:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/defaults/profile/bookmarks.html

And that says all of the following.

Bookmarks

Get Bookmark Add-ons
Bookmarks Toolbar Folder
    Add bookmarks to this folder to see them displayed on the Bookmarks Toolbar

Getting Started
    Latest Headlines

Mozilla Firefox

Help and Tutorials
Customize Firefox
Get Involved
About Us
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:37:44 pm »
are you using "windows explorer" to do this?
it sounds like you're using "internet explorer"
the first is for messing around on your computer
the second is for looking around the internet
you want the first

Dave

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:45:34 pm »
are you using "windows explorer" to do this?
it sounds like you're using "internet explorer"
the first is for messing around on your computer
the second is for looking around the internet
you want the first

Dave

Pretend you're talking to a first grader.

The first what is for messing around the computer? If you are talking about this as the first;

E:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile

It does nothing but sit there looking at me until I click on it and then I end up on the web site when I do  :?

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:27:12 pm »
ok, there's your problem :)
firefox is for messing around on the internet
you need to mess around on your computer
let me think how we can do this
open firefox, your used to this
go to the menu that says bookmarks and see if there's something there labeled "manage bookmarks"
if you find it, click it, an window will open, look for a menu at the top that says "import bookmarks"
that's what you want to do, import the bookmarks from your old hardrive
if you get this far let me know and I'll try to walk you through the next steps, it's not hard
what version of windows are you using, stuff looks different on different versions

Dave

edit for clarity: ther are two ways to do this, let's try this first

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:32 pm »
Windows XP

That way isn't doing anything what is the other way?

I go to the old drive now "E" drive and click on book marks and it has the same book marks as what is now on the new hard drive.... with out any import or export.... none of the old book marks. Sometimes I wonder if it jump back to "C" drive.

Maybe they are just gone.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 11:07:32 pm »
nah, they're still there

Code: [Select]
I go to the old drive now "E" drive and click on book marks

how are you doing this? what program are you using to "go to the old harddrive"?
it's hard to tell what you're doing without looking over your shoulder
there are two ways to do this
in the first, when you are done and you go look at your bookmarks you'll see a folder labled "imported bookmarks" all your old stuff will be there
in the second all the bookmarks on the new computer will be wiped out and you just see things just like the used to be
which way do you want to go?
don't give up, this is doable, I just don't want to send you down a path that messes stuff up

Dave

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 11:07:45 pm »
why don't you pull your hard drive.  buy a case with a USB plug in at some geek store.  run old drive as a slave drive.  you keep all info and don't have to transfer.  you should be able to import bookmarks, etc from one drive to another without to much trouble if you want to.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 11:55:43 pm »
why don't you pull your hard drive.  buy a case with a USB plug in at some geek store.  run old drive as a slave drive.  you keep all info and don't have to transfer.  you should be able to import bookmarks, etc from one drive to another without to much trouble if you want to.

That is what I have,

iMicro
3.5" IDE HDD External Enclosure

Plugs into USB port

I go to start menu
Go to my computer
Click on local disk (E:)
the follow the path.....   Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 12:23:32 am »
If I click on "File" that shows "Import" Click on it and get one option...

Import options, bookmarks, history, and other data from...

Windows Internet Explorer.

Click on bookmarks and I do find;

Organize Bookmarks...

Click on it and get an import and backup option. it is a drop down menu. The options are;
Back up
Restore > 2009-08-13
              2009-08-12

Import HTML...
Export HTML...

Click on choose file and I get the whole menu for all of the computer. But when I get to the old disk there is nothing except the new book marks I have placed in the new drive.

Click on the Import HTML... and get to the same place with the same results.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 07:56:42 pm »
I would say just use the old harddrive as a storage drive and put it in the computer if there is room.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
I want some of the stuff off the drive that I can't access no matter where it is....

Such as the bookmarks I had.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 08:55:27 pm »
you may have to find the specific file that has the bookmarks and do an old fashioned file copy.  i bet if you do a google search, someone else has posted how to do it and you can just follow their steps.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 09:32:28 pm »
Tried that.  :-\

I really think somehow they went

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 07:40:39 pm »
I dont know if you can do this or not but there are computer to computer cables, like the ethernet cable but two of the wires are switched around, and transfer stuff that way. I think maybe it has to be 2 computers up and running to do that. My motehrboard just went out also, Im sure you read, so I just replaced it and used the old harddrive.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:54 am »
I know it doesn't help now,  but it can prevent the issue in the future.   There is a plug-in for firefox called xmarks.  It stores you bookmarks on a server and if you have multiple computers, it keeps you book marks in sync. I use it and it is great.

http://www.xmarks.com/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything