Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to Split a big cutout?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
How to Split a big cutout?
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »
Say a cutout is 2 deeps.

Do you put it in the two deeps, then wait a few weeks for them to recover before you split.

Or do you split the two deeps the day of the cutout?

-mt
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: How to Split a big cutout?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:53:07 pm »
I don't know if there's really a wrong either way, but I usually make the split within a day or two, but I've always given the split a queen.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:58:45 pm »
This time of year, I wouldn't split it. I would leave it as a double until spring.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:54:27 pm »
This time of year, I wouldn't split it. I would leave it as a double until spring.

Well, I'm in central Texas, 85 degrees out. Our 2nd minor  honeyflow (aster & goldenrod) is about to start, so they could pile up some stores.

Still think I should wait?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »
Any where north of the equator, the queens are reducing their laying and the workers are reducing their wax production. This will continue until winter solstice, approx. Dec. 20. After that, they will begin spring activity, starting at the equator and working north. Texas will start before NC, which is mid Jan, to beginning Feb., but not by much. The bees produced for wintering are not the same bees as produced for summer. Their entire make up is different.

Yes, I would still wait.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything