Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How soon to build up comb on combless foundation?  (Read 2835 times)

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
How soon to build up comb on combless foundation?
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:30:11 pm »
Ok you seasoned beekeepers I have a question.  I just hived four pound packages, one in each brood box.  One full frame feeder of 1 to 1 sugar syrup, and a quart of water in a feeder stuck in the bottom entrance, of which they finished by the next morning.  The queen was left in the queen cage so they could chew her free.  The entrance was  blocked completely the first night and opened the second day.  Pollen patties were placed on top, which they have started to chew up pretty good.  There is a minor spring flow here as there is yellow pollen on everything (walnut, or maples???)  Packages were hived april 18, I checked them today april 21.  They queens have been freed.  I noticed comb forming on about three frames both sides.  I didn't see the queens but I expected that.  Some of the cells had bright orange pollen? in the base, from the flow I expect?  Is this average or normal?  I didn't see any capped brood but the bees were covering the frames pretty good.  THe frame feeders were down about two inches, which i refilled.  Im as nervous as a new parent.  Any suggestions or thoughts on normal development would be appreciated.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:37:50 pm »
Bees are pretty much either progressing or failing.  Sounds like they are progressing.  How fast varies greatly from hive to hive even under identical conditions and by weather and blooms besides that.  There is no way to say precisely what to expect.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 12:16:18 am »
I hope these pics came through, they are from day five after hiving, perhaps day two of the queens release.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 07:32:08 am »
Quote from: BEE C
I hope these pics came through, they are from day five after hiving, perhaps day two of the queens release.,  

No. At least for me the pics did not come thru or true?  I maybe don't know how to make them come thru and true?

Advise please.  Thanks.  Not too savvy in computers here.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 07:56:39 am »
Scrape off the badly drawn comb and make sure your frames are tightly pushed together. Leave any excess space on the outsides.  I'm assuming this is the frame you had spread for the queen cage??  It happens everytime if you spread to frames for the queen cage.  Fix it know before it gets any worse.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:27:22 am »
I can't see the pics from BEE C, here or other forums.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 12:17:24 pm »
Quote from: Jerrymac
I can't see the pics from BEE C, here or other forums.

It's his image hosting that is causing the problem.   Right click on the icon and select view image.  Then you can see it.

BEE C,  You might want to consider finding a better place to host your images.  Some are not forum friendly, like your current host.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 07:30:14 pm »
Thanks Robo, I did scrape off the weirdly shaped comb, and pushed the frames together.  They seem to be drawing normal comb now much flatter.  I was wondering myself about the pictures,  when I posted them I could see them.  I used webshots.

anything