Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Whats in your toolbox?"  (Read 19142 times)

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Re: "Whats in your toolbox?"
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 09:45:54 pm »
 :-D
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 11:06:36 pm »
Sean, as a matter of fact, I did the budget touristy thing back in 89. Seawind Hotel in Montego Bay, the falls at Ocho Rios, and of course Jenny's Favorite Cakes outside of Negril....(and the leap off the cliff at Rick's, but not necessarily in that order...) Some side-trips we took were pretty memorable, too, like the Quest for Doritos.

Where do you live in Jamaica?
Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 02:02:11 am »
all I got in my tool box is "TOOLS",,,, aint thats why its called a tool box??  :lol: just kidding!!!!!!
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Aint I a Stinker!!!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007, 08:24:00 am »
Sean, as a matter of fact, I did the budget touristy thing back in 89. Seawind Hotel in Montego Bay, the falls at Ocho Rios, and of course Jenny's Favorite Cakes outside of Negril....(and the leap off the cliff at Rick's, but not necessarily in that order...) Some side-trips we took were pretty memorable, too, like the Quest for Doritos.

Where do you live in Jamaica?

i am in spanish town which is on the southern side of the island. Hope you had fun while you were here.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007, 09:54:36 am »
My toolbox is simple and can fit in my hands.

I leave my hive tools and the plastic container for collecting burr comb, scrapings, etc. at the beeyard, so I don't bring them along each time.  I leave the baby powder there too, in a ziplock bag.

What I bring each time I go up:

Smoker (I check it each time to make sure it is full of CLEAN burlap, no burlap used at my place that has been treated with oil as some old burlap junk is.  I get the burlap that has been treated with coconut oil instead, it is cheap and emits an extremely clean smoke, no black smoke, pure (if you can call smoke pure), blue/grey smoke

BBQ lighter
Bee brush (I don't like to leave it outside, the bristels get hard with changing temperatures)

That's it.  I can't think of anything else that I bring along, I go up there as simple as I can.

Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 08:13:51 pm »
Bee suit
Smoker
Gloves (2 pair)
Extra Veil
Awl
Toothpicks
Compass
Queen Catcher
Hammer
Stripping tool
Small Blue Lighter
RegulAR Blue lighter
orange lighter
2 large scripto lighters
Sasil Twine
Bee brush
Small metal strainer
2 standard hive tools
2 hook end hive tools
3 utility knives
Frame rests
Epi Pen
Benadryl
frame gripper
duct tape

But from looking at this list... I need to remove some utility knives and lighters and add a Sharpie.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 09:50:41 pm »
Bee suit
Smoker
Gloves (2 pair)
Extra Veil
Awl
Toothpicks
Compass
Queen Catcher
Hammer
Stripping tool
Small Blue Lighter
RegulAR Blue lighter
orange lighter
2 large scripto lighters
Sasil Twine
Bee brush
Small metal strainer
2 standard hive tools
2 hook end hive tools
3 utility knives
Frame rests
Epi Pen
Benadryl
frame gripper
duct tape

But from looking at this list... I need to remove some utility knives and lighters and add a Sharpie.

Aahm why so many lighters?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 10:49:34 pm »
Right, upon a second or third thought, there are actually a few other things that do head up my way with me to see the bees.  MY BEE JOURNAL pre-notes, I always take a note or two as I go through the hives and then the next morning I write them down more formally into my bee journal.

This upcoming year I think that I am going to have a plastic baggy attached to each colony with notepaper inside each one.  That way I can write down and keep a record with each hive and then enter this data into my bee journal weekly or bi-weekly.  Well that is the plan, but we all know how plans tend to go, the intention is good, but does the follow-through always occur???  Probably not with me.

I do keep a few other things up in the apiary and they are:

-  a flyswatter, for killing bad bugs, like the yellowjackets (my arch enemy)
-  toothpicks (there for the chance that I might need to pull out ropey gooey junk to identify AFB if I think that it may be present)
- a stainless steel narrow putty knife in case I need some fine work with scraping
- an extra hive body with all apparatus except combs

I think that is about it.  Great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 02:44:37 pm »
Aahm why so many lighters?

I have so many lighters becuase I look in my bag and don't see a lighter, so I get another lighter.    It's not until I actually clean out my beebag that I actually see what I have.

Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 07:47:45 pm »
I have lg. hive staples, tacks, nails, hammer, smoker fuel, bq lighter, entrance reducer, two hive tools, bee brush, notebook and pen, gloves,two sheets of newspaper, Alexander type veil and a strip of old demin. Queen Bee

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 09:30:46 am »
Cindi said: "I leave the baby powder there too, in a ziplock bag."

What's the baby powder for?

Kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 10:20:43 am »

Ah, come on, you know its for baby's rear ends...LOL. 
Actually, an old beekeeper from our beeclub told me one time when he was helping me to catch my first swarm (they turned out to be very hot and angry tempered bees) that bees really like the smell of baby powder and do not take offence to it.

It may be along the same line thought about rubbing lemonbalm leaves (citronel, which can be derived from lots of sources), on your hands too, they like the smell and prefer it to the smell of a sweaty hand.  Apparently bees DO NOT LIKE the smell of sweat.  Be it human or animal.  Maybe that is why they have been known to sting livestock that venture too close to the hive.  I know that horses smell very strongly (and absolutely wonderful) when they are sweaty, (I love the scent of horses).  About sweaty hands, he also said that a pail of cool water should be kept near the bees to plunge the hands into it prior to working with the hands to close the pores.

A book that was written many, many years ago, that I have read over and over, author, Eric W. Kelsey, advised anytime working with the bees to ensure that you do not stink of sweat.  Now this is quite unlikely, considering usually working with the bees involves work, or maybe working and then going to see bees.  Most people sweat (they may not know that they smell, but evidently the bees can tell this odour).

So, anyways, sorry for carrying on...I keep baby powder at the apiary, I have not been yet stung on the hands since implementing this lovely smelling talc, I even enjoy it.  I don't wear gloves working the bees.

I grow many plants of lemonbalm close to the apiary as well, so will next year use that too.  I also heard that in times gone by that beekeepers would lay a branch of lemonbalm around the hive to calm the bees, or rub the leaves on the hives.  I have no experience with that, but, but it does make sense to me.  Hope this clarifies why I like to keep baby powder at my beeyard.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 06:19:24 pm »

Actually, an old beekeeper from our beeclub told me one time when he was helping me to catch my first swarm (they turned out to be very hot and angry tempered bees) that bees really like the smell of baby powder and do not take offence to it.

That's a relief I was afraid your bees had a rash. My next question was going to be "How do you get them to hold still long enough to powder their bee-hinds.  ;)
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 06:38:47 pm »

That's a relief I was afraid your bees had a rash. My next question was going to be "How do you get them to hold still long enough to powder their bee-hinds.  ;)

insert "smiley face" here

Offline Trot

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 07:40:20 pm »
Heee, I'm waiting for your answer to Kev... :)

About beebalm/lemonbalm? 
If it don't work... At least it makes for a happy bees in your yard!

Regards,
Trot

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 08:37:31 pm »
I like the "bee" words, so many "b"s in our language.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2007, 09:46:25 pm »
Cindi,
You mentioned resurrecting the toolbox topic since we haven''t seen it in a while,so here it is!
I'm sure some newbees will appreciate it! :lol:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2007, 10:44:01 am »
Ken, excellent, so great to have the "mods" that keep our forum alive!!!!   Add the little flashlight to the list in our minds.  Another one that I have found to be so useful is a cold bucket of water.  It makes the soft goey propolis that gets on my fingers turn harder and I can rub my fingers together to get the excess off before going into the next goey hive and it is great if my hands get sweaty.  We all know that bees don't like sweat!!!!   :)Have a wonderful day, best of life.  Cindi

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2007, 11:32:56 am »
Sorry folks, don't have a tool box. I have a five gallon bucket with a caddy that wraps around and fastens with velcro. It has several pockets. I have baby powder, bee brush, hivetool, gloves,two wood chisels, a curved short knife, 3 home made minipulating cloths, several 1/2x1/2x 1 in blocks, and bee-quick when I am going to take honey.
I don't load mine down with a hammer, nails, pliers, staples, or any of that other stuff that has to do with repair jobs.
I have my fuel in another bucket
doak

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 06:10:53 pm »
Don't know bout that doak!Sounds like a toolbox to me. :lol:Tools of the trade that is.

anything