Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Illinois bee keeping license required  (Read 12667 times)

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Illinois bee keeping license required
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2005, 09:54:59 pm »
We are only buying one kit and an extra suite and we are building all of are other hives after studying are one from the kit. This way we shouldnt loose to much if anything does ever happen. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2005, 07:36:17 am »
Quote from: Anonymous
Quote from: BigRog
My inspection was free and I was happy to have a experienced hand there. He saw things that I would have missed and was able (again for free) test the varroa in my hive to see if it was pesticide resistant. I am never in favor of goverment but I got the feeling that this guy was a beepeeker first and a agent of the state second.

In other words, you're forcing other taxpayers to subsidize your beekeeping by paying this guy's salary and testing costs.

I am not forcing anyone to do anything, the inspection is mandated by law, which I did not enact. I am merely complying, I imagine you would also be against free vaccinations for children, the purpose is very simular.
I think you are missing the point of inspection. If my hives have a problem that could spread to other's hives or to the feral population the collateral cost could be enormous, sorry you feel that way. Perhaps you could identify yourself in your next post.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2005, 10:12:53 pm »
I agree BigRog, If you cant put your name to the post dont post at all. bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2005, 10:33:26 pm »
We are only buying one kit and an extra suite and we are building all of are other hives after studying are one from the kit.

Is it really cheaper to build your own? Or do you have access to wholesale lumber, etc.?  I wouldn't know how to do the dovetails, but the rest wouldn't be hard, provided I had a source of cheap, untreated lumber.

The biggest cost seems to be shipping. Lucky for me, there's a Dadant store about 40 miles away. Unfortunately, they're only open weekdays (you know, when people like me work!).
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005, 10:41:31 pm »
you dont have to do dove tails you can use box joints which are really easy. We can buy wood really cheap around use due to my uncle builds houses and the wood yards are 25 minutes away from us. We have big trailers so we haul all are own wood, I my self like to use a flat bed tow truck with a 20 foot bed so we can tip it and the wood slides off unstead of unloading peace by peace onto the garage concrete.  Bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2005, 01:39:48 am »
You can build it cheaper than buying pre-made (which really isn't "made" only cut to specifications, you still have to put it together).

I think I spent about $35 on my first 2 full hives - total of 4 brood boxes, 2 honey supers, and the bottom stand/landing board. It was the frames that were the killer on cost. I like getting mine already assembled with plastic (wax coated) cell imprinted foundation. I think they cost me $2.30 each, if I remember correctly, plus shipping (not much).

Beth

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005, 07:54:56 am »
I got my wooden frames from
 http://betterbee.com/home.asp

right about $.50 each not counting shipping.I don't think There is a way to beat that price by do-it-yourself even if you got the wood for free. There looks to be a lot of work involved to make all the little cuts. There are plans  at

http://www.beesource.com/plans/index.htm
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2005, 08:37:49 am »
I wouldn't try to make frames--to many pieces, too many cuts. But I did buy mine with another club memeber, and we bought a 100-pack from Dadant. I still had to put them together, of course.
Lesli

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005, 08:18:32 pm »
I like building all parts of stuff, that way I know it was done right. If I do mess up though at least I know it was my fault. bye
Ryan Horn